Grace-Based Motherhood: A Fishy Tale

I got seasick.

The wind whipped my hair on the 45 minute trip from the shore to the middle of the ocean in a large fishing boat. It was thrilling for my family, a first for us, until the boat anchored and the waves dipped the craft up and down.

Down and up, with 3-4 foot swells.

I only cast my fishing line one time.

The rest of the four hour fishing trip, I longed to lay down on the metal floor of the hot, stinking ship. Instead I sat perfectly still with my eye on the only constant in the waters around me: a buoy about half a mile away. As long as I didn’t take my eyes off of it, I didn’t throw up.

fishytale

I had planned this little outing for my family-we love to fish, but rarely get the chance and I knew our little vacation to the coast an hour and half away would be the perfect opportunity to relax and enjoy each other.

Only life doesn’t go as planned and I was green around the gills, irritable and counting down every miserable minute.

After one harrowing trip the ship’s bathroom (my one mistake), my kids met me at the door, “Mom, isn’t this fun?” I could smell the squid bait on their hands and I snapped ugly at them. “Go away!” I demanded as I ran for fresh air

And I searched for my buoy.

I was so disappointed that I couldn’t enjoy the trip and even more that I was too miserable to watch my family enjoy the trip.

About halfway thru the trip, this happened:

photo

Thirty pounds of dinner and one very happy husband. And finally some expired motion sickness medicine I bought on the boat brought enough relief for me to snap a picture.

My kids fed tiny squid parts to nearly seagulls and their giggles almost made my nausea worth it.

My family offered grace. The kind a mom desperately needs to receive when she’s too hard on herself, when life doesn’t go as planned (does it ever?) and the kind I want to give them when I can’t stand their fishy hands.

“If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.” –favorite song

Grace is my buoy in this motherhood journey. It keeps me afloat when I’m drowning. It’s the life preserver on a hard day. It’s the constant in this ebb and flow. Grace keeps me going–it gives me the power to forgive others, to forgive myself, to keep going in rocky waters and threatening gales.

You know what’s crazy? I would get out on the boat again in a second.

Because grace is what I remember most.

Comments

HeatherS says

So sorry you were sick. That happened to me too the one and only time I went on a similar sized boat on the ocean and it’s a miserable feeling. Thank you for the grace reminder. I know I really needed that grace myself after a mommy meltdown last night in which I ran away from home. Ok, I only made it as far as the frozen custard shop but the moments before I left were not pretty. It had been a long day full of a hormonal mom and two need-to-go-back-to-school-soon kids! Grace (and a brownie sundae) were needed.

Sue Montague says

Isn’t it amazing – that when you kept your eye on the buoy you were not sick. Just like when we keep our eyes on Christ – we don’t get sick. He is the constant and the steady. But when we look elsewhere – boy are we in for it!
    Thanks so much for your posts!

Thank you SO much. A friend linked me to this post, and I cried through it. With family visiting, a busy summer, and strong bouts of crippling fibromyalgia, my family has also been showing me grace through the whole time. As moms we need down time too, and this put it perfectly.
    Thank you for writing.
    ~Heather @ The Welcoming House

Isn’t it great how readily our tiny people hand out grace to us? Always serves as a great reminder to me to do the same unto them. Thanks for sharing!

Sea-sickness is the worst. I’ve so been there. Dramamine is my new BFF. I’ve been battling morning sickness the last 10 weeks and my kids go back and forth between, “Are you ok mommy?” to “What’s she throwing up this time?” Got to be honest though, both reactions make me smile. :) Hope the rest of your trip is amazing.

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site before but after looking at a few of the articles I realized it’s
    new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly pleased I discovered it and I’ll be
    bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

My brother recommended I would possibly like this website.

He was totally right. This post truly made
    my day. You cann’t believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this
    information! Thank you!

Do you feel that the temperature is growing, try to take a serious amount of
    elbow grease, from both of you are daring types, she
    might harbor subtle prejudices or occasionally display a bigoted opinion.
    They tell us parenting that keeping secrets can actually negatively affect our
    health! Bolton, who was her husband at Berkeley University in the late 1970s and they married in 1980.
    While not absolutely necessary in a proposal, it is advisable not to delay
    it. Arnold apologized profusely for his affair and love child, expressing a
    desire parenting to continue working on the marriage.

Aren’t you tired of playing the game countless hours in order to generate the items in the game.
    What outcome you get by playing it like 12 hours a day.

Small amount of items get increase and you’re happy with that.
    What If I tell you that you can generate unlimited gems, resources and other things in the
    game. YES!! Unlimited Items and you will not have to play the countless hours in order to beat your friends or
    family members. If you are looking to the way to get a ton of Gems, Elixir & Gold
    without spending your money, then this Clash of Clans Hack website is for you.

Be careful though as often the energetic part is Ephedra,
    which is a banned substance in lots of countries and is harmful to your well
    being. Excess fat burning capsules can possibly be built of
    organic products or of synthetic chemical substances that can stimulate faster
    metabolism, that will result in faster burning of fats.
    The good news is, you will find there’s approach to do this.

Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your
    blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!

Feel free to surf to my homepage – visalus

Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying
    and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for
    to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    This is actually a terrific website.

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content.
    Please let me know. Many thanks

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot
    often inside case you shield this increase.

Unquestionably believe that that you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be at the web the easiest factor
    to be mindful of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst folks
    think about concerns that they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the entire thing with
    no need side effect , other people could take a signal.
    Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some help
    from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Many thanks