The Biggest Lie Moms Believe

She followed me out of church and I could tell she wanted to talk.

I didn’t know her. But I could tell she was nervous.

I stopped and turned. I waited.

lie

“Hi, you don’t know me, but I wanted to ask you a question.”

I smiled encouragingly.

“I have a small business. I sell children’s clothes and I want to find someone in Kenya to sew for me. I’d love to provide a job for someone who needs it.”

I love how God works, how weaves our stories together. Our community group had just bought two sewing machines to help two people start a sewing business in Kenya.

She continued, “I don’t know where to start or what to do. I’m just a mom and there’s no way I could ever travel to another country or do something big like that. So I wanted to ask you.”

I started to say something and I stopped. I waited for her to see my reality.

My 6 year old was pulling on my arm, begging for another cookie. You know the ones reserved for visitors. But she’d had three and we are hardly visitors. My son was gurgling water from the water fountain and my oldest was asking (again), if we can leave now.

And I saw her lightbulb moment.

“Well, I know you’re just a Mom, too. But you know what I mean.”

I looked her in the eyes and I said these words, “I know what you mean about just being a mom and I want you to know it’s a lie you don’t have to believe. You can do something for Jesus. Being a mom doesn’t disqualify you. Because being a mom is doing something big for Jesus.

And dreaming big and asking these hard questions and helping someone else –that is changing the world.”

We live in a size-obessessed culture that insists bigger is better. But it’s the small daily acts of service to our children, the little steps we take to think of others, and the dream of making a difference that matters.

“You are doing something great with your life – when you’re doing all the small things with His Great love.

You are changing the world – when you are changing one person’s world.

You aren’t missing your best life – when you aren’t missing opportunities to love like Christ.” -Ann Voskamp

In God’s upside down Kingdom, moms are the logical solution to change the world. We serve on our knees, cleaning up boy bathrooms. We bend low scooping up toys and messes.

You there, changing your 6th diaper of the day while you watch your 4 year old daughter change her clothes again, and your son searching the couch cushions for change—your day-in-and-day out service to your family is life-changing.

Mom, you saying yes, right where you are–that makes you a world changer.

This is the truth we need to believe.

Comments

Adria says

Wow. That post just gave me goosebumps. Thank you for helping me take a step back and notice myself. God bless!

How funny, that just last night, I was laying in bed praying and saying, “I don’t do anything, I don’t do anything to help anyone. I just stay home all day with the kids. I don’t do anything important”. Then I get on your blog this morning and cry because it’s just what I needed to hear. I just really need to beleive it now. Thank you. -Steph-

• 6.1

Steph, always remember that you are shaping the future in how your children embrace life, morals and love. Those just aren’t big things, they are HUGE. Now go give the kids a hug.

Donna H. says

Wow. Great post. While I believe God is going to do big things through my children, I sometimes need to hear He is doing and is going to continue to do big things through me. Thanks for the reminder. Blessings.

Great post. My husband and I choose not to have children because neither one of us wanted to be full time parents and we didn’t believe in letting a day care raise our children. We believe that raising children is the most important and most dismissed job in the universe. I’ve never understood why it was undervalued. I am a feminist, a left-of-liberal atheist who would be the first to stand up and defend all of the hard working stay at home moms taking responsibility for their family choices. As I have explained this to working outside the home mothers over the years I am not judging what they choose to do, it just wasn’t right for us. I would just as fiercely defend their choice. Celebrating diversity is what makes this country great.

Donna Whitson says

Thank you so much for this. I can tell you how many times I answer “I’m just a mom”. I’m beginning to see this is my mission field. This is where I make an impact for Christ.

Oh young mothers take heart…there is no more important job than what you are doing!! Hold your head high and say, “I am a fulltime mom” with dignity. God will rejoice when you do!! He chose you, specifically you, to be the mother to your children. What an honor. When you see them give their lives to Christ and accept Him as their personal savior, you will know your efforts have not been in vain. Carry on brave moms…
    Blessings,
    Bev

Beautiful. It is so easy to forget that the best way to follow Him is to love the one right in front of us because that is what He did. Thank You!!!

Jen says

Thank you for this encouragement. Lately there have been times when I wonder how can I keep going?, am I really making a positive impact on my children? It has been hard facing each day. I could not do it without Gods grace, His strength and wonderful promises. Thank you for your words :)