The Best Book I’ve Ever Read. Period.

Imagine a 6 year old child ripped from his mother’s arms during an outdoor church service.

He along with other boys from his community were taken away at gunpoint to a military camp and forced to become child soldiers in Sudan.

I have a 6 year old and the very thought makes me tremble.

But this child with the help of some older boys (he calls angels) runs away from the camp.

He runs for days and weeks. He runs for his life.

And spends the next 10 years surviving in a refugee camp along with thousands of other lost boys without parents or siblings. But he has God and his love for running and he thrives…..

His life takes an unexpected turn when he is 16 years old. I’ll give you a clue…it’s leads to the USA Olympic team. Running for My Life: One Lost Boy’s Journey from the Killing Fields of Sudan to the Olympic Games is a riveting true story of one Lost Boy of Sudan who beat unthinkable conditions of danger, hunger and poverty to become a present-day US Olympian. This book will make you laugh as he tells of coming to America, it will make you cry as you read about him returning to Sudan as an adult. It will take your family on a journey that just might change their life. It has my family asking some pretty amazing questions right now.

I’ve never felt so strongly about a book (which is why I’ve mentioned it a few times). I urge you to read it for yourself, to your family. It’s the perspective change we needed this summer. It’s a heartbreaking, inspiring true story of courage and of a mighty God.

This book is written in an engaging way and my kids begged for more at the end of the chapter.

This is a God story.

This review is not compensated and I was not asked to write it. I simply loved this book and can’t stop talking about it. Part of the proceeds from Lopez Lomong’s book go to his foundation to help the people of Sudan.

————————

I’ve also updated my list of 80+ Books to Inspire and Encourage Your Family (affiliate links used)

Comments

Ashley N says

Have you read “What is the What” by Dave Eggars? It’s another book about one man’s story as a lost boy of Sudan. I had similar feelings after reading it this summer….think you’d enjoy it as its on the same subject matter. I’m definitely going to read the one you’ve suggested. Thanks!

I’ve watched a documentary about the Lost boys of Sudan. Their stories are so heartbreaking and moving. I would really like to read this book. Thanks for sharing.

Beth says

I don’t have a lot of time to devote to reading, but this is one that I read in the last 6 months. I couldn’t put it down. Fascinating and inspiring!

Heather S. says

Put this on my Wish List. I have often said The Hiding Place is the best book I have ever read. The reality of Corrie’s and her sister’s faith through such horrific circumstances has always inspired me. I’m sure this will do the same.

Lisa says

I read this book after reading about it on your blog. I loved it. My husband reads it to my kids every evening now.
    They are loving it as well. Every night they ask their dad, “Are you going to read us Lopepe!!??”
    Thanks so much for the recommendation!

tia bennett says

I just bought the book on tape for our next road trip. Is it appropriate for 10 boys(my youngest)? My older son is a runner, so I thought this sounded great!
    We have such similar tastes!

• 9.1

Nita says

I’m not Kristen, but I wouldn’t hesitate to read or listen w/ a 10 yo. A couple of my boys read it. I had hoped to read it together but we ran out of time before we had to return it to the library. The book, though it deals w/ unthinkable circumstances, isn’t terribly graphic in the retelling. It is excellent. I’ve recommended it to several people.

kerri says

I bought this book after reading about it on your blog. Right now I am reading it to our sons and we cannot stop! It is taking every inch of self disclipine for me not to read ahead of them!

Heather says

I’m always looking for great reads for our family and ordered this book after I read about your family’s enthusiasm
    for this biography. Wow, quite a story, my kids listen to every word.

cheryl says

We have all read it in our family of seven…including our two refugee kids from the DRCongo. This was an excellent introduction to their lives before us. I still tear thinking about what they’be been through.

I went back to work today and so I will be really busy with first graders. I sure will keep this one in mind for my next book. Thanks!

My dad had just told me about this book! SO ready for them to finish it so that I can nab it and read it. Have you read the book “Same Kind of Different as me”. It has a sequel called “What difference do it make?”. Very powerful story about a modern day slave that is made homeless in Texas. It happens close to you so I figure you have read it but it is pretty powerful!

Kimmer says

Leaving on a trip recently, I read your post about this book. So I asked our local library if they could get this as an ebook. To my surprise they ordered it the next day and I downloaded it a few hours before we left!
    LOVED this book, just what I was looking for , for my kids to read. Thank you, I look forward to checking out your list of suggested books.
    I liked In The Presence of my Enemies by Gracia Burnham.
    My Heart in His Hands:Ann Judson of Burma

Birdie Cutair says

I read that book, too, and thought it was wonderful. I’m so glad he made it out of there alive, and a champion!

HeatherS says

I finished reading this book a few weeks ago and have now been reading it to my 7 and 13 year old. They are enthralled and never let me stop at just one chapter! Very powerful and inspiring book. I have recommended it to several other families I know.

Shelly Smith says

We also got this book from our local library and I can’t wait to start reading it as a family (maybe this evening?!) Thanks for the recommendation (my three boys LOVE to have mom or dad read aloud every evening!)

Calvin Lee says

I had never heard of this book but with such praise I will surely look out for this now. Thanks for the recommendation. I find it impossible to choose the best book I have ever read but certainly the best book I have read in recent years was the autobiography from Kieran Doherty ‘Back From The Abyss – The Autobiography Of A Low-Bottom Alky’. You just don’t know you’re born until you read this mans story. Kieran Doherty died at the age of 64 in 2010 but not before penning an absolutely gripping autobiography. Doherty is one of the most intriguing characters I have ever read about and his story is one of the most fascinating. Best book I have read in many years for sure. http://capandbellspress.com/2013/05/back-from-the-abyss/

Thanks again for the recommendation. I look forward to picking that one up this month.

• 23.1

Thanks for this recommendation Calvin! We’re thrilled you enjoyed the book. Kristen, if at any point you’d like to receive a copy for review we’ll gladly send you one, just email me (Jess Kurrle) at info [at] capandbellspress [dot] com.

Jessica says

Thanks so much for this post! I got the audio book from Amazon and my children and I have been enthralled. Amazed at this testimony!