Like A Boss

We sat at the stop sign, waiting for the policeman directing traffic to give us the “go ahead” signal.

My son was sitting next to me, watching.

“I think I want to be a cop someday,” he said thoughtfully.

“Really?” I asked sort of surprised since he’d never mentioned it before.

“Well, yeah, just look at him. Just look at how bossy he gets to be with his hands.”

I laughed.

He continued, “Well, now that I think about it. You’re kind of bossy with your hands.”

He had a point.

“I don’t have a gun though,” I said.

“That’s true.”

The next time day my 6 year old told me she wanted to be President of the United States.

CLEARLY MY KIDS HAVE AMBITIONS.

“That’s great! You want to be a leader, change the world, huh?” I asked.

“Well, no. I just want to be the boss of you,” she said and walked off.

I’m sensing a theme here.

Image-1

A few days ago on our way to church, my husband stopped at Starbucks to grab us a coffee (okay, really it was coffee for him and a pumpkin spice latte (PSL) for me. Because it dipped to 90 here in Texas, so we were celebrating, naturally). It was my first PSL of the season and my kids were grumbling because we wouldn’t get them one. But at $5 each, I’M SURE YOU UNDERSTAND our cruelty at offering them water.

From the backseat, my 6 year old bitterly said, “When I’m a mom I’m going to drink all the sweet tea and coffee I want. AND, I’m going to boss everyone around.”

To which I replied, “I hope you have three children just like you.”

My son got in on the conversation and said, “I’m adopting so my kids are nothing like me.”

Hysterical.

6 year old upped the ante (and bitterness), “Well, I’m going to give all my kids any pet they want and a cell phone.”

Yes, PLEASE DO THAT, said the future grandmother in me.

My hubby returned to the car and asked why I was laughing. I told him that mothers get to drink sweet tea all day and be bossy.

“I want to be a mom,” he said.

Turns out I own motherhood.

Like a boss.

Comments

I love it! Thanks for my laugh today. I used to tell my sons that I hoped they had kids just like them when they grew up. They are now grown! My youngest son says that just wasn’t fair that I wished that on him LOL

Robyn says

I loved this short little post! It could have been written about me with my kids, right down to the pumpkin spice latte being enjoyed at 90*. Thanks for sharing and being real:)

Penny says

Thanks for the laugh this morning. I love that your son will adopt so his children won’t be like him. Little does he know. lol My daughter has a shirt that says, “I’m Bossy!” Maybe I need a shirt that says, “I’m the Boss!” I can’t wait to share this with my hubby. :)

Holly says

You’ll have to tell your son the adoption idea may not be foolproof. My nephew is adopted, and is EXACTLY like my brother! Nice try, though. Love this!

• 9.1

Jenny says

I was just coming to comment this very same thing. I have three boys, one of whom was adopted at birth. He is EXACTLY like my husband! We have officially solved the “Nature vs Nurture” debate right here in our own home. :)

Elissa says

That post was written perfectly from a Mom’s point of view =) It made me laugh…so appreciate your transparency as we “moms” can all relate! Thanks for sharing!

Emily B says

Okay, I’m busting up! My 5-year-old and your 6-year-old would be best friends…or mortal enemies, possibly. When I announced to my kids that I’m having a baby, the first thing that came out of Lexi’s mouth was, “FINALLY! Now I’m going to be the BOSS of that baby!” HA HA HA!

Cristy says

Next time just ask them if they think they’ll enjoy sipping sweet tea while cleaning up pee-soaked sheets, or battling with a 7 year old over spelling homework, or figuring out how to make dinner when there’s no pasta or potatoes or meat left and payday is still 2 days away.

Karyl says

Ha! The Irish curse! (I.e., “I hope one day you have a child just like you.”) My mom used it on me (it worked, rats) and I’ve already used it on our kidlet. But I must say your son’s adoption loophole was inspired, although likely ineffective. Stay bossy!

Amanda B. says

Ha! 90+ degree heat is why my first PSL of the season was iced. Delicious! Oh, and my youngest is my older sister in miniature in a lot of ways. I’m not sure I deserve that.

Erin in CO says

Love it!
    Always encourages my heart to know I’m no the only one who has kids that express these SAME dissatisfactions and desires!
    What’s the pin…? “When you clean the toilets and keep the house running, you can eat the secret ice cream”…?
    : )

amber says

I have 3 girls and I am so thankful to know that I am not the only mother cruel enough to dare to enjoy a PSL in front of her coffee-deprived children!

ciara says

Hello, everyone my name is CIARA from USA i never ever believed in spell until i meet a man called Dr CAFI who help me cast a spell that bring back my husband who left me for one years before our marriage, His spells works beyond my imaginations and today i am happily married two kids and me and my husband now husband are very happy more than ever before, what more can i say rather than to say thank you Dr CAFI for been there for me, contact him today and your life will never ever remain the same his email is cafilovetemple@gmail.com

Great post!! This triggered a memory of me at 6 or 7 screaming to my mom that when I was on my own I was going to eat all the pickles I wanted. Yes. Pickles = Freedom to me. Oddly enoughly, I don’t remember filling my first apartment’s fridge with Vlasics. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Victoria says

My four year old son ordered a “Car Mae Fa” like I order. Or Cafe Mocha, bless his heart. I got so tickled that he was imitating me. And he is constantly trying to tell me that he is the boss. I have to remind him that Daddy is the big boss, then Mommy… I’m glad you hold it down, like a boss. Love your blog! God bless!

Hahahahaha. Oh man, this made me laugh so hard. I think they just want all the fun parts of being a boss and none of the really hard parts of being a boss, in which case they are in for a huge wake up call lol.