What Three Years of Chasing a God-Sized Dream Has Taught Me

“I cried every day last week.”

That was the answer I gave when someone asked me how I was doing the other day.

Awkward, I know.

But it was the truth and sometimes you just have to let people in your mess. I’m pretty sure my friend was sorry she asked because then I was all LET ME TELL YOU HOW I’M DOING.

The details aren’t super important, but they do involve me running a non-profit and BEING COMPLETELY INADEQUATE.

Random stress facts might also include: the first week of school, strategic longterm planning of Mercy House and restructuring both organizations in Kenya and the USA, my son locking my keys in my car as I was heading out to carline, which left my first grader stranded, some hard parenting stuff, me yelling, having company for the long weekend and not a clean towel in the house, oh and being accused of money laundering by Western Union at 4pm on a Friday, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

During one of my many crying stints, I whined to my husband, “I never wanted any of this–the piles of paperwork, the uncomfortable stretching, the hard hard work of being inadequate and trying to learn something so foreign to me. I just wanted to help girls in Kenya.” He just patted my back reassuringly and ordered me a margarita.

I often keep the day-to-day struggles of this God-sized dream to myself. It’s easy to when struggle is your normal. I’m an introvert and it’s not easy for me to ask for help. But God is continually using this journey to change me. Part of the growing is being desperate in the wilderness moments. We all have those seasons of being overwhelmed and lost, struggling, wandering, the days when no one asks how are you doing? And you are dying for them to. So, today I’m saying it out loud.

My family just completed year 3 of chasing our God-sized dream and here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1. We desperately need Jesus, every hour, I need Him.  I constantly find myself questioning the next steps to take as we pioneer and fund the first-of-its-kind maternity home in a developing country across the ocean. I need divine wisdom at every turn. I don’t have the education or background for any of this and it drives me to my knees.

2. We need community. Isolation breeds doubt and pride. I cannot live this life alone. I cannot achieve my goals or chase this dream without help. And part of accepting help is being honest about needing it. I’m constantly looking to surround myself with people who can dream with me.

3. It gets easier. I gave up control around year one (since I never really had it). I can’t always predict or prepare for what will happen next, so I stopped trying and worrying so much. God has never lost control and He has a plan. Plus, I can almost talk about Mercy House without crying and I only weave it into every other conversation. And I can have a pedicure without guilt. It’s called progress, people.

4. It gets harder. At the start of year 4, you’d think I’d be used to the stretching and pulling. It’s a lot like my husband doing Crossfit workouts faithfully three times a week for the last two years. Just when his body is adjusting to the constant strain, he comes home sore, from being pushed harder and further. The thing about God-sized dreams is they are always bigger than we are, stretching and pulling us further than we think we can go. I don’t think at some point, I’ll wave God off and say, “I’ve got this. Thanks for your help.” And if I do, it will become my thing, not His. I’m growing into the dream, but the dream keeps growing. And some days I feel lost and overwhelmed and very tired.

5. It’s good to look back. As intimidating and overwhelming at the future seems, it’s encouraging to look behind me. A specialist in Kenya who is helping us structure the organization for growth (and making Maureen and I work harder than ever) said to me in a particularly emotional moment recently, “Kristen, you have already achieved your goal. You set out to help girls and you have done that. Very few organizations achieve their one main goal. This growth is uncomfortable, but it is good.” I cried. Again. Because yes. This face and eleven others like it are a constant reminder of what God has done.

MH 81

6. It’s good to look ahead. For the last 36 months I feel like I’ve been treading water and not only in the bigger-than-me dream, in life too. As a mom and wife, I’ve had to learn to shut down my computer and close down the constant barrage of “I need to’s” and just live because life keeps on going, kids keep growing and needing you. As we enter this new season of dreaming, I’m looking ahead and expecting God to do great things.

7. We would still say yes. Even though I want to quit my volunteer job about once a week, I wouldn’t change the past three years for all the ease and comfort in the world. I’ll give you 24 reasons why (12 moms, 12 babies). I’m sort of glad I didn’t know everything thing I was saying yes to because even in the oh-so I’ve learned that my inadequacy is the perfect place for God’s glory. And watching Him be glorified in a broken place, through an unlikely group of people, makes me want to say yes all over again.

I don’t know what your God-sized dream looks like. I don’t know if it’s in your rearview mirror or if looms large and scary ahead. But don’t doubt for a minute, He has one for you.

Don’t be afraid to chase it.

[Something BIG:: Coming Soon]MHK-inMercy-BlogTease

Photo by Bess Brownlee

Comments

Kim says

As always, you inspire me. I too once a week am ready to throw in the towel, but don’t.
    Keep up the great work and always take some time for you. I too struggle with that, but if we don’t do it, we won’t be good for anyone.

You have been on my mind and my heart a lot the last few weeks. This dream of yours, it’s captured a lot of us and we’re honored to be a part of it. I am praying for you, and I’m praying for Mercy House Kenya, and I am excited about that really big thing that’s coming soon. Thanks for letting us all chase this God-sized dream alongside you.

Beth says

Beautiful yet scary at the same time.
    I have a dream. But not a clue how to make it happen. I live pay check to pay check now, I can not give up my secure (currently) job to live a dream and put my kids/families future in jeopardy. They say money can not buy happiness, but it can make dreams come true. I am glad your dream is coming true.

Shannon says

I don’t think I have any God-sized dreams right now – or maybe I do and just don’t know it. I think it would scare me if I did! You are fulfilling your God-sized dream and it has helped a lot a people (and will help a lot of people)! Plus, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the smiling little ones like in the picture you posted above!

Just found you thanks to a Twitter friend, and I’m so glad I did. I understand this struggle well. I feel like I’m on the cusp of beginning our God-sized dream and it scares the living day lights out of me. But I know it’s good. And I want to pursue it. For now, I’ll be happy NOT knowing what the future holds–ignorance is bliss right?! :)

Stacy says

I always enjoy your posts and living bicuriously through you, as if we have been friends for years and I continue to travel with you on this amazing journey, even if only in thought and prayer. Because of people like u, I can picture myself finding and following my own god sized dream also. Thank u for the inspiration and thank u for the work u do, but mostly thank u for sharing it with others and touching lives u may not even know you’ve touched. God is good! ~stacy

Thanks for sharing your heart. Just found you. I want God to give me a God sized dream, but I’m also afraid of it at the same time. Glad you weren’t afraid of it. Those 24 reasons are pretty powerful motivation. xo

Erin says

I loved and totally connected with what you said about community. So right on.
    I have loved watching your dream come true.

You are so totally qualified!

1 Cor. 1:26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; 28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

Thank you. It may seem small to others, but I’m trying to re-enter the workforce after 12 years of being a stay-at-home mom. As an engineer. So I’ve been overwhelmed with figuring out a resume, finding contacts, and studying for an engineering exam (did I mention it’s been 12 years?). God has been pushing me to do this, and it’s scary. I need to remember that God got me through school, and he can help me find the right job. The God-sized dreams will come, I’m sure. But I have no idea what they will be.

Juli vrotney says

The Lord is working through you…never doubt it. You sre such a blessing. Thank you for sharing and being open and vulnerable. So glad your husband lets you rant and then pampers you…to make you feel better when you are in need of a break.

Cheryl says

Kingdom work is easy to see, much harder to actually do. It’s simultaneously gut-wrentchingly difficult and the best thing you do. Thank you for being so honest and open.
    I’m praying for you, your family, and your ministry.
    God is richly blessing you.

I volunteer with a non-profit running a birth centre in northern Haiti. It’s my job to send the expenses to the clinic every week, and I too have been accused rather nastily of money laundering by WU. Twice. after the second time, I found other ways to send the money. I understand government regulations, but they don’t have to be nasty about it.
    It takes real strength to stick with such an enterprise as yours. But you are right, we can’t do it on our own.

Hi there, I found your website by way of Google whilst
    searching for a related matter, your site came up, it appears to be like good.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, just was aware of your blog
    via Google, and located that it is truly informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels.
    I’ll appreciate when you proceed this in future. Many other folks can be benefited out of your writing.

Cheers!

The finished movie may not always conform to all
    aspects of the storyboard, but they will document many of the early
    developments in the movie. You might have seen logos of companies that are
    more than a century old. If you think any image
    is essential on your site, make sure you optimize them
    using image editing programs so that they have a minimum
    file size.

The Hayden-Banner district, primarily in the non-inclusion of the things that they’re just printing gold ira money, bonds
    and cash that you can do certain things at a time.
    For example, if you want to sell gold. You are allowed and no plans to initiate
    any positions within the word Rex gold ira which means that 75 percent gold.
    Patrick’s Day beverage like this dungeon, it’s a ‘misguidedand misunderstood’
    law and both Christian Howard and Adam.

Have a look at my website gold backed ira (p1n.me)

And within the course of such analysis, it emerges that many dollar spent in the pursuit of your online degree is likely to increase one’s
    lifetime earnings repeatedly fold. Each auction could
    be conducted with a different group of terms
    including bid increments, variety of auction rounds and expense
    reimbursement for the stalking horse. The business degree raises one’s social standing:
    in other words, it opens to suit your needs doors
    that might have otherwise remained closed for your
    requirements.

my website … http://safevideogames.blogspot.ro/

High speed or fast action photography can be of two types ‘ one where the
    shooting environment is controlled and the action can be timed
    and the second one where there is no way the photographer
    can control or time the action. If seen in a bar
    it would have a coin slot but on the home version it is
    replaced by a cabinet for storing extra darts and accessories.
    An example is if you are shooting at the 2-ball, make legal contact
    with the 2-ball, and make the 9-ball on that same
    shot then you win the game.

My homepage; 8 ball pool hack apk

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.

nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be
    delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

CJ Cruz said (cjzur) “On Elction day my lone vote for senator will only go for Riza Hontiveros. For example, you’ll have many different Instagram accounts, although each and every account must be to a different sort of current email address. ” The sneak peak of the
    new campaign saw the 21-year-old beauty pose against a red background
    in a sheer black dress with a daring cut-away polka-dot mesh
    panel.

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it very hard to set up
    your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any tips or suggestions? Thank you

Feel free to surf to my website clash of clans
    hack gems (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa0pkhicTik)

The first way in which HTC has attempted it was the appearance of the handset.
    XP mode is slow as it requires a separate virtualization environment.

It is certainly true that the HTC Touch HD is a brand new Windows Mobile phone that appeals to the general public
    and not just the business areas of society.

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site thus
    i got here to go back the desire?.I am trying to to find things to enhance my
    site!I suppose its adequate to use a few of your concepts!!

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also
    am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to swap strategies with
    other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Here is my website how to lucid dream; Andrea,

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do
    you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

Of program, maybe you need to need a while
    to supply to putting on it. A humidifier is a great tool that produces steam and can help you overcome congestion.
    As problems in the respiratory network of the sufferer are usually to blame for snoring, it is best to check there first.

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However I
    am going through troubles with your RSS. I don’t understand the
    reason why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anyone else
    having the same RSS problems? Anybody who knows
    the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

Hitherto are 7 ways to attract women, which require very little effort on your part.
    However, don’t be surprised if you have to continue to lead
    the conversation and ask for his info. There are careers more readily available in big cities for very beautiful women, such as acting and modeling.