I saw a mom struggling the other day to get all three of her kids buckled in their carseats in the backseat. I remembered just how doing that simple task some days was enough to PUSH ME OVER THE EDGE and I wanted to roll down my window and cheer her on. “One day, mom, they will be able to do that themselves!”
I started thinking about all the big mom moments we experience in this wild-crazy-wonderful journey called motherhood.
Here are 100 epic mom moments most of us have celebrated with a kid or two or four (or will someday) and have successfully resisted the urge to post them all on Facebook. Hopefully.
1. That first time you see your baby outside your body (or their face on a screen adoption moms).
2. The first time they latch on without you plumping up the boppy pillow or cocking your head just right.
3. When they hold the bottle all by themselves.
4. First time they sleep thru the night. I can still remember THE JOY.
5. A dry diaper.
6. Pee pee in the potty.
7. Only to be surpassed by Poo Poo in the potty.
8. First tooth, solid food, word, vaccination, step.
9. First time they poop in the bathtub.
10. That epic moment when they say your name.
11. And then when they won’t stop saying it. Over and Over.
12. First time you leave them.
13. First time they are sick.
14. The first time you tell them no
15. Only to be surpassed by the first time they tell you no.
16. When they say I love you.
17. The first time they break free and run to you.
18. Gets beaten by the time they run from you in a parking lot.
19. First hair cut, pigtails, spike hair do.
20. Their first visit to the emergency room.
21. First hotel room when they will not sleep the entire night.
22. First time you ask them out on a Mommy date.
23. First day of school.
24. First bad word.
25. Wiggly tooth.
26. Lost tooth.
27. Your first time as Tooth Fairy or Santa.
28. The first time they lie to you.
29. First time they pray by themselves.
30. The first time you lie to them (see Tooth Fairy, Santa, etc).
31. The first time they write you a note and slip it under your door.
32. First test.
33. First bad grade or best grade in the class.
34. First time they choose their friends over you.
35. When you embarrass them on accident.
36. First time you embarrass them on purpose.
37. That first mean girl or boy in their life.
38. The first time you can’t fix what hurts.
39. The first time they cry themselves to sleep.
40. The first time you cry yourself to sleep worrying, praying over them.
41. When they say I hate you.
42. First time they score a goal, hit a home run, make you cheer like a raving fool from the stands.
43. First time you offer them grace when you both know they don’t deserve it.
44. That time they slam their bedroom door.
45. The first time you think about taking their door off the hinges.
46. First time you notice them noticing the opposite sex.
47. The first time you notice their voice, body, skin is changing.
48. First underarm hair (it’s going to happen).
49. First time they choose the right thing when you’re not around.
50. You tell them about sex (don’t let it be your last).
51. The first time they look at you and Dad and realize that’s how they got here.
52. First time you make them do their own laundry.
53. And then they wear pink socks.
54. First time they mow the lawn.
55. Cook dinner all by themselves.
56. Save enough money to buy something they really want.
57. Stand up for the underdog.
58. First time they ask you out on a date because they just want to be with you.
59. The first time your choice for them makes them feel left out.
60. Only to be surpassed by when they choose to be different on their own.
61. First time someone asks “them out.”
62. First time they tell the 6th grade girl they are too young and you realize you’re doing something right.
63. But it’s also the first time they realize they have got it going on.
64. First day of being a teenager.
65. That First phone, social media account.
66. When they drive you for the first time.
67. When they drive off for the first time.
68. That first time they call you for money.
69. First crush.
70. First time you leave them alone at home.
71. First time they ask if Daddy was your first kiss.
72. The first time you tell them your regrets.
73. The first time they want to get a job.
74. That moment when they respect you.
75. Only to be surpassed by the moment they disrespect you.
76. First time you apologize, cry and pray with them and ask God to help you mother.
77. That moment they reach out to God for help without you pushing them to do so.
78. First Date.
79. The first time you wish they were little again.
80. The first time they decide they will never go on another date.
81. First time your husband threatens a boy (just kidding).
82. That first college catalog.
83. First day of their first summer job.
84. First day of their Senior Year.
85. Cap & gown.
86. First heartbreak.
87. When you walk away from their dorm room for the first time and cry all the way home (dreading).
88. First time you understand why it was so hard on your mom.
89. First time they need you and you can’t be there.
90. First time you need them and they can’t be there.
91. First family dinner with an empty chair.
92. The first time they have to get a job.
93. The first time they bounce a check
94. That moment when they call to say they’ve “met someone.”
95. When you meet their someone and you KNOW.
96. When they graduate. Again.
97. The day you realize you raised a successful adult.
98. Their wedding day.
99. First time they look you in the eye and thank you for being their mother.
100. The first time you realize you will be their mom and celebrate every high and low as long as you both live.
I know there are countless more. What did I miss that was epic for you?