A Wedding to Remember

Kenyan weddings deserve their very own post.

When Maureen visited us in America in January 2013 for meetings and speaking engagements, a generous friend of mine secretly took Maureen and I wedding dress shopping.

Because we knew (hoped) this day was coming a few months later. I had the honor of being there when the big question was asked.

Over the past few years, Maureen and I have had many Skype conversations praying and talking about her future husband, someone for her to share her life and calling with. And so, we knew if we could arrange the delicate timing of our next trip, it needed to include one very special Kenyan wedding.

And after Maureen lost her beautiful mother suddenly in June and asked if I would stand in as Mother of the Bride, I knew we had to be there.

Y’all.

You haven’t really celebrated joy until you’ve attended a Kenyan wedding. The day started very early in the lasted until sunset. And there was a lot of waiting for the bride to make her special appearance. It can sometimes take a bride up to an hour to s-l-o-w-l-y walk down the aisle. Thankfully, Maureen has too much spunk for that.

Here we are waiting…

photo

Here comes the bride (just a few seconds of what went on for HOURS):

_SC_2735

Then there was dancing and singing and more dancing and more singing. And we repeated this about 27 times.

Possibly the world’s cutest flower girl and ringbearer (the two firstborn babies of Mercy House):
ecwKu7MRf07gaPNIXMBPsqnoiefZ9TGFw1wTi87AunY

I mean, SERIOUSLY.

The Mother of the Bride got to take care of Precious and Travis. It was hard work! I might have fed them tick tacks and Pringles the entire ceremony. After Travis had about 12 chips, he started to lick the salt off and pass them down the row. Awesome.

iGOfk05UE8Hbf008Np2iRes-viOWUph0q7gMOjmnTqo

The Mercy House babies loved dancing (as well as several hundred other guests!)

-k44jnlaXHR2-BiM8zBX9vc7fvYJfSCf9lrEOLyl5BM

Nw1LgXGUEzMlOGKckI7P8QHPPtHxbeo59FxZI_SwaRM

_VYvsll_fCmljc3IA5GmIz3705sEYpkRQVqL6qDxQyA

Maureen was a stunning bride. And her joy was evident.

nneY8M_J2y23bxkjEC6QhpiXq6OlnFWTCPbKd17vx1k

Dear Maureen and Oliver,

What a day! Thank you for sharing your amazing day with us. You are an example of purity and  faithfulness-a beauty for ashes story-to the girls at Mercy House. You’ve given them a fairytale to look forward to someday. We pray God blesses your union and His face continues to shine on you.

Love,  the Welch family

WBueTyKZVkv9DtPHaYqOewkspavXnxxt17x8AFmTDCk

BW8mQpk-QbI9AhOhpB94dlBM8-yL3ABwBAiiZRw7iS0

The bride and groom presented a cake at the reception to our family and the residents of Rehema House.

qGhKIzRvhPrGVJ0UNNVvWBRFVHWbYmPzpohcYM9Pmi8

And then we danced some more…

rsjHoNTX4F5IFE8CTDwdqCeivF75u2OenabOu9uogyI

And just because, this needs to happen again:

ecwKu7MRf07gaPNIXMBPsqnoiefZ9TGFw1wTi87AunY

Photos by my friend and photographer, Suzanne Box

Comments

Kit Jordan says

What an amazing story! Can do nothing but sit here and smile looking through these beautiful pictures! WOW

Amazing! Beautiful! Just another awesome example of God’s grace on The Mercy House. Thanks for letting all of us share in Maureen’s joy. What a stunning bride she is!

Tears!!! BEAUTIFUL in every way. God is so good!!! Maureen just radiates beauty inside and out. You are right….those flower children….SERIOUSLY!!!! Your family all look amazing too. I couldn’t wait to see pictures of this day. Thanks for sharing!

cheryl says

This is exacrly the gorgeous picture of the bride of Christ and the answers to so many prayers for Mercy House. Bus is amazing!!!

Holy sweetness, those two babies as the ring bearer and flower girl are by far THE CUTEST thing ever. Thanks for posting them twice! I mean, adorable!!

What a wonderful day!

LOVE!!!!! Thank you for sharing with us!!! (And yes, that picture needed to happen again for sure! I keep scrolling back up to look at it! :) Love them!)

Christie says

I certainly don’t mind, but the video is actually your entire playlist of 79! I watched a few, the girls singing, etc, but wanted you to know in case there’s personal videos you might not want all of the world to see further in!

WOW!!! I think Maureen is the most radiant bride I’ve ever seen!

At risk of sounding like a cheesy movie commercial . . . this post made me laugh and made me cry. When you said “Y’all” after Maureen asked you to be Mother of the Bride . . . yeah. That.

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures! Welcome back to the States and I can’t wait to meet the residents of the NEW Mercy House :) :) :) :)

Greetings from Ohio! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your
    site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look
    when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded
    on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways,
    great site!

Visit my site – converse jack purcell leder