Nothing Says Happy New Year Like Manure & A Sale

Yesterday I stepped in a cow patty. I also had biscuits and gravy, pecan pie, and fell asleep in a recliner. I finished an entire book. And I learned how to knit.

I’m clearly 100. You may call me Grandmother now.

We are at my in-laws farm and my husband is in his element. He loves farming. If it wasn’t so serene or amazing for my redneck children who haven’t missed a lick of technology, I’d be scared.

We’ve been eating off the land without even dial up. Cousins spied constellations like the Big Dipper and Lesser Bear under the clear Oklahoma sky. It’s slow and meaningful living and it’s exactly what we needed.

There isn’t a department store or mall for dozens of miles. But that wouldn’t bother me… I did every bit of my shopping online this year.

Speaking of things I love, some of my very favorite Kindle books are dirt cheap right now:

$1.99 for hands-down the best family Bible ever written:

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

$2.99 This book changed my life. I read it on my way to Kenya in 2010 and it was a catalyst to starting Mercy House.

The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us? The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World

$2.99 The best book I read in 2013 and possibly ever. I cannot recommend it enough.

Running for My Life: One Lost Boy’s Journey from the Killing Fields of Sudan to the Olympic Games

And while I’m at it, I’ll mention the best store ever is having a huge sale with many items 75% off and an extra 25% with code AFTER25. It’s a great time to stock up!

Only $10.49 with code: (click on picture to buy)

Love Came Down - Morning Star - Decorative Lantern

Only $8.99 with code: (click on picture to buy)

Love Came Down - Light of the World - Decorative Lantern

Only $5.99 with code (click on picture to buy)

Redeemed Christmas - Countdown to Christmas - Wooden Advent Chalkboard

I hope you are enjoying time with your family. As we sat around the farm table last night, we had a beautiful conversation about toots (beans were on the menu and there were junior high boys, so it was inevitable). My nephew said “ladies don’t toot.”

My youngest popped up and said, “Oh yes they do! My mom does it all the time. Sometimes in the car.”

Lies, all lies.

It might be time to go home.

Comments

1. Karen says

The Insanity of God is only 2.99…by Nik Ripkin. An INCREDIBLE book! LIFE CHANGING!

Glad you are having some fantastic down time! Enjoy!

2. Missy Stanley says

Awesome story! I am a farm wife myself, so can relate to much of it :) I got The Hole In Our Gospel for Christmas and am eager to start it. Happy New Year to you and yours…thanks so much for what you do :)

3. KM says

I love that you learned to knit. If you ever end up on Ravelry my user name is aDayInTheLife. All lowercase, but the caps make it easier to read.

4. Sue says

Out of the mouth of babes…

Why are they so honest?

Why do they speak up at the most inconvenient times?

Thirty-two years of child raising and I still don’t know those answers (and we still have two at home).

After all the holiday planning I did to entertain my kids — their favourite thing was the hayloft swing at my aunt and uncles farm on Christmas Day. And chasing barn cats. And herding sheep. And walking winter wonderland trails.
    The best things in life are not only often free — they are completely unplanned.

Kristen, I clicked on over ’cause I saw your site on kendal privette’s sidebar. The blog name intrigued me. Your post was delightful, especially the last lines :-) The links to bargain Christmas gifts is a blessing. i just might do some ‘shopping’ for next year.
    God bless you as you return home.

Kristen,
    Love that you got to slow down for the holiday and embrace your rural side! Thanks for the links and the fun stories — for being totally relatable and ‘normal’ in your posts!
    Lauren
    PaintTheTownAG.com

8. Jill says

I just purchased Running for my Life and have read the first two chapters with my boys. I just want to be sure before getting too into it- was all of it appropriate to read to your six-year-old… or does it get quite graphic?