1. So, if you follow me an Instagram, you know we got a kitten a couple of days after Christmas.
2. For the kids, or course.
3. To which, someone responded, you really are THAT family.
4. Let me explain: We had to put our 7 year old dog to sleep a couple of months ago, which left our one year old cat, Tinkerbell, and our youngest child completely distraught because they were the 3 amigos. My daughter cried like the baby of the family that she is and looked at me with such sad puppy dog eyes that I was completely manipulated into a replacement pet.
5. Replacement pets are never a good idea, neither are pet-altering decisions the day you are helping your dog die. Oh, hindsight. My child reminded me everyday, practically every hour afterwards, tapping my arm over and over “Mom, remember what you said. Mom. Mom? MOM!?!” Until I screamed DON’T TOUCH ME AGAIN. OKAY? Ok. Let’s get a cat.” What can I say? She’s totally the boss of me.
6. We rescued a cat from a home we found on Craigslist that also needed rescuing if you know what I mean. It was overwhelmed with more than a dozen people and enough stuff for three dozen. But that’s a story for the anonymous blog I don’t have.
7. The kitten was free. So there’s that.
8. But it had flees, so after kitten flee treatment, please disregard #7.
9. We (and by we, I really mean the 7 year old child of the family) named the precious 8 week old kitten Periwinkle (sister of Tinkerbell for all Disney Fairy Fans) and presented her to our one year old cat and she sniffed her head and then slapped her across the face twice with an angry paw.
10. So, that went well. And then they fought like cats and cats for two weeks.
11. During this time, we discovered the kitten was a thief. Two mornings in a row while I was making lunches, my kids entire sandwiches disappeared. I found empty bags with claw marks and the crusts of the bread (just like my daughter) in a corner of the house. LOVELY, huh?
12. What we have here is a Cat Burglar.
14. And then one day, the cats were friends. And lived happily ever after. But not really. Tinkerbell is in charge and lets us all know that.
15. Sidenote: Did you know research proves that cats who live with you think you’re just one big cat? My husband shared that tidbit he read online the other day. Warning: cute sleepy kitten photo ahead
16. The day after my husband shared that fact, he reached down to pet Tinkerbell and she slapped him across the face and actually drew blood. It was ugly. I tried not to giggle when I said, “You know, she does see you as a big cat. And you just had your first cat fight.”
17. He was not amused and she is currently in a bag.
18. Just kidding. I really just wanted to say he finally let the cat out of the bag.
19. I’m here all week, friends.
20. Is it just me, or does she kind of remind you of Darla from Nemo?? (Don’t shake the bag)