What’s On My Reading List This Month

The table next to my bed has a pile of books I’m digging into this month and probably the next couple. If anything, I’m an ambitious reader.

When do you read?

My reading habits: I always have a book tucked in my purse, in my car, on my Kindle app, next to my bed for those moments during the day when I’m waiting or trying to fall asleep. I’m also a bathtub reader. I am usually working thru several books at one time and usually read non-fiction, although I love a good fiction book when I’m traveling. I’m also not much of a TV watcher.

The fun thing about some of the books on my nightstand right now is they were written by friends! (Amazon affiliate links):

Books on Nightstand

1. Miraculous Movements: How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus:: Oh, this book is rocking our world. It’s a long God story, but if you have a heart for missions and discipleship, this book is a must read. I heard the author speak recently and met some of the heroes on the pages in Kenya recently. It’s helping to shape so much of our work with Mercy House.

2. Live to Give: Let God Turn Your Talents into Miracles:: This is our new “family read.” Every month or so, we start a new book to read together out loud as a family after dinner. I’m really excited to dive into this book with my family. It’s sure to be inspiring!

3. Happy Wives Club: One Woman’s Worldwide Search for the Secrets of a Great Marriage:: I love writing about marriage and being married. I’m a happy wife and I love Fawn’s heart to join a million happy wives to support the beauty of everyday marriage.

4. Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Living Intentionally in a Chaotic World:: I’m digging into Tsh’s memoir that challenges us to live slower, intentional lives. I love her global viewpoint and can’t wait to apply her suggestions to live my life instead of letting life live me.

5. You’re Going to Be Okay: Encouraging Truth Your Heart Needs to Hear, Especially on the Hard Days:: Holley is the best encourager I know. Some days, especially the hard ones, we need to remember-despite life’s ups and down-we are going to be okay because we have Jesus.

6. The Locust Effect: Why the End of Poverty Requires the End of Violence
(not pictured):: I just ordered this book on Amazon. It will be hard to read, but absolutely necessary. If you’ve ever wanted to help the poor, this is a must read. It’s the paradigm shift we need to make to reach the poor in their reality of violence.

How about you? What you are you reading lately?

Comments

• MK says

Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin {free Kindle edition @Amazon} EXCELLENT FICTION BOOK…and I’m not even a fan of Civil War era books!

Oh man! That’s what you read in a month? How wonderful that must be! I’m lucky if I get through 2 books a month now… but that’s just the stage of life right now with a 3 year old and 1.5 year old! Ha! My “to read” shelf has gotten rather large lately!

2. Heather says

I am just finishing up Labor Day, which is just a fun, fiction book. I needed that right now. But on my shelf are: Live to Give, Crossroads and The Surrendered Wife. Don’t know which to start with.

3. Brittany says

I’m reading Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild with the H.S. girls Bible study I help out with. This is a great book that I think all girls should read in their late teen to college age years. Definitely pre-read though if you are reading it with younger H.S. girls as there are some edgey examples of girls gone wild.

Live to Give sounds great!

I’ve accumulated about 25 ebooks that are on my waiting to be read list, but I’m currently reading “Why I Believe” by D. James Kennedy and “Have a New Kid by Friday” (How to change your Child’s Behaviour and Character in 5 days) by Dr. Kevin Leman. So far both are good!

I was about 3/4 of the way through the “Five Love Languages”, but put it down somewhere and can’t find it now! LOL I’m sure when it turns up I’ll finish. It was so good the first time I figured I’d read it again ;)

I too have piles of books to read, or that I’ve started and haven’t finished. I’m leading a women’s Bible study currently and we’re using Beth Moore’s book “To Live is Christ..” Then for Lent I am reading Adam Hamilton’s “24 Hours That Changed the World.” I am also working through Ann Voskamp’s “One Thousand Gifts Devotional” day-by-day. My tough read is by N.T. Wright, “Paul”. I do like Anne Lamott, the ‘irregular Christian’, and I’m reading her book as I travel this coming week, “Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair.” Then another book my friends at church are reading is “Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner and Saint” by Nadia Bolz-Weber (a Lutheran pastor at a church in Denver, “House of All Sinners and Saints,” an ELCA mission congregation). No fiction lately.

like you, i always have a book on my kindle app or in my purse. but i only read one at a time. and right now it’s history-so-i’m-smarter-than-my-students – the book on lincoln entitled “team of rivals.”

Love your list! I read Primal by Mark Batterson last month and it was fabulous. Also read The Purity Principle by Randy Alcorn – good and short read. I have Live to Give in my pile of books to read. I read the first few chapters at my parents’ last month and it was excellent.