The Two Words That Can Absolutely Change Your Marriage

Sometimes I don’t even know I need to hear the words.

Until he says them.

And then I’m like a sponge and I soak them up like my life depended on hearing them.

The whole family spent the entire Saturday knocking down dead trees, pulling up weeds and pulling down thorny vines tangled in our trees. We turned up the earth and planted tiny okra, pepper and tomato plants, already dreaming of summer. If it sounds exhausting, that’s because it was, but it’s my favorite kind of day. We were all working together and accomplishing something we all wanted: a garden.

We were dead tired and covered head-to-toe in filth, dirt in our hair and under our nails. I walked in the kitchen and that’s when I remembered my forgotten trip to the grocery store. I sighed because I had to go to the store and I couldn’t wait another hour.

I scrubbed my hands and put a clean shirt over my-not-so-clean body and my oldest and I headed out. I left my husband and other kids chopping wood to carry off.

I still had groceries to get and unpack, dinner to start, laundry to turn and a half dozen other tasks that keep our family of five running all week long.

The kids helped me unload food into the pantry and I hurried dinner along. It was nearly dark as we sat down to eat, and I stifled a yawn. And that’s when my husband leaned over and looked at me long and hard and whispered the words: thank you.

the two words that can change your marriage

And I patted his arm, his face ringed with the weariness of hard physical work and I said them back. Thank you.

Because sometimes? We just need to hear the words. Deep down we know our family is grateful–our kids appreciate the little things, especially when we don’t do them and our husbands and wives see more than we think they do.

But to hear the audible words–some days it’s the jet fuel we need to keep going.

And the words aren’t really dependent upon what we do–because sometimes dinner is a flop and the laundry spills over and the kids meltdown and husbands run late and life has a way of being perfectly imperfect.

But when you overhear him tell your daughter she looks beautiful on Sunday morning or watch him put his briefcase down, loosen his tie and read Junie B. Jones for the millionth time — stop — and thank him.

When you realize she turned off the alarm so you could sleep a few more minutes or remembered your dry cleaning for that important business meeting and changed the cat litter because she knows it’s the chore you hate the most–stop—and thank her.

Sometimes the very thing you need to hear the most is what you need to say to someone else.

When she’s impatient. When he’s angry. When she’s tired. When he’s busy. When she’s down. When he’s not…

When she’s up all night with the baby and you have to step over baskets of unfolded laundry, when you can see the stress of his job weighing him down–these are the messy moments when we feel invisible, unappreciated, overlooked.

These are the moments in our marriages that need a thank you the most.

Because they aren’t just words. Thank you sends a lifeline. It says:

I see what you do all day long.

It matters.

It’s important.

You matter.

You’re important.

I don’t see the mess.

I see your yes in it.

————————————————————–

Click to read more of our marriage story….

marriageismessy

Comments

• 1.1

Brandy says

I agree a simple I’m sorry can go a long way especially when you want to keep from going to bed angry.

Kim says

Perfect timing, perfect day…after a perfect weekend where my family and I also planted a garden and worked in the flower bed. After an exhausting, yet fulfilling weekend, he deserves a thank you.

You’re post prompted just that this morning and I’m sure you helped me to make his day today, so THANK YOU!

Have a wonderful week!

Excellent post Kristen! Two words that are powerful in our relationship are “Just Because.” That is my best reply to: Why did you get me flowers? What’s the candy for? Why did you do my laundry?

I was chatting with the hair dresser as she was cutting away. I learned that she was to be married this summer and shared with her that I had been married for 15 years. She asked me for one piece of advice to give her in her marraige. To be put on the spot like that was hard. There were so many things I wanted to tell her. In the end I told her that the most imortant thing was to appreciate each other and to say thank you. My husband and I thank and appreciate each other every day even for menial tasks such as taking out the garbage. It makes the marraige sweet.

I love your vulnerability and “realness” I’m a MOPS Mentor Mom and grandmother and love forwarding your posts as both hope and encouragement. I even gets hints to use in my life. Keep on sharing. God is using your words for good.

Leslie Townsend says

Loved reading this! Would be nice for a church bulletin article/..we ALL need encouraged to use these words more often than we do!

Thank you. I remember early in my marriage when my sister-in-law gave me that very advice. It is so true. When my hubby thanks ,e it means the world and vice versa. This is a good reminder.

Brandy says

“I love you” I think are important to especially when its out of no where I like to send that random text to mu fiance every now and then just as a reminder it lets them know you arw thinking about them even when they aren’t there.

Kim says

I think “Thank You” is important in any close relationship. My mom and I share a home. She is retired on Social Security, and I teach full time. In terms of working together to make our home run, we have a division of labor – mostly she does domestic things while I “bring home the bacon”. We decided early on in our journey of sharing a home that we would say thank you early and often. It has helped us remember all that the other person does – especially when individually we my be feeling tired, overwhelmed or grumpy.

Cecile Thompson says

I clicked on the pic to “read more of your story” per the instructions, and no matter where I click it takes me to a page to buy a rhinestone. I’m not interested in the rhinestone. Am I doing something wrong or is there no link?

Cecile Thompson says

Nevermind, I just saw the links below the comments section. It looked like I was supposed to click above your picture though. That was confusing. I like this post, fyi.:)

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure
    why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show
    the same results.

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark
    on some general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent :
    D. Good job, cheers

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but
    after browsing through a few of the articles I
    realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly happy I came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and
    checking back regularly!

I am curious to find out what blog system you’re utilizing?
    I’m having some small security issues with my latest
    blog and I’d like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any suggestions?

These give you the whole deal and are the best purchase
    and that too of one-time alo. This bag is cute and timeless,
    which means that you will be able to carry it wherever you go.
    If plastic bags are so harmful to the environment,
    why not just STOP making them.

I do consider all of the ideas you have introduced on your post.
    They’re very convincing and can definitely work.

Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for newbies. Could you please prolong
    them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.