WFMW: Say Yes to Rest

YesWFMW

I’m happy to welcome this week’s guest post from Kris for my new Wednesday series Yes, Works For Me! Please welcome her and be encouraged by her yes to God and continue to link up what works for you.

It’s my surroundings that do it to me.
When God asks you to be quiet, is there any other answer than to say “yes”?

It’s been a month since I hosted Refine {the Retreat}. I knew the week before I left for it, that upon my return home, I would be entering a quieter season.  Exhausted, I looked forward to the promise of rest.

For the last 3 years I have been hard at work. Between writing and publishing 2 books, and planning a retreat, all while homeschooling my 4 children and serving in my role as wife, mom, chauffer, chef, and laundress, there has been little quality down time. I have poured out in every capacity and the reality is, I am crazy-tired, and spiritually thirsty.

As inviting as it sounds, as writer, quiet seasons can be a bit scary. Writers write, that’s how they can call themselves writers.  In this fast-paced, never sleeping world of social media and lightning speed technology, there is great pressure to produce. Now. And often.  But God has clearly spoken to me on this, and asked me to take several steps back, to lay my pen down–to listen for His words, rather than spouting my own.

All I can say is “yes”. My saying yes to God’s invitation to rest is scary because I fear being forgotten in the circles I’ve worked so hard to be a part of. When one disappears from the frantic clamor of the online world, it can sometimes seem as if they were never there in the first place. It’s like a hole that just closes over and leaves little trace of their previous presence.

I’ve spent 3 years connecting with people, building and investing in relationships, trying to find a community to call “home”. Saying “yes” to being quiet feels like walking away from all of that.

A friend reminded me the other night that God’s call to rest is a gift. She said this isn’t punishment, but reward for my labors.  The serpent tells me that if I’m not out there laying planks in a platform, that I’ll never amount to anything as a writer. The enemy would have me burn up and puff flat out of breath, while striving to achieve by my own strength.

But God has another plan.

yes in my mess image

God asks us to say yes to the things that ultimately are for our best interest–no matter how counter intuitive they may seem.  God’s plans are for kingdom glory, not personal gain. God’s invitations are for prosperity and proclamation of the gospel, however unconventional His methods. His ways are not our ways.

I’m saying yes to obscurity and silence, because whatever God has to teach me is more important than whatever I think I need to say.

I’m saying “yes” to listening, to resting, to a new kind of quiet. I don’t imagine it will be easy, especially for a do-er like myself.

But I want God more than anything.

So, yes, Jesus. I’m listening.

Author Bio:

Kris in red2

As a sequin-wearing, homeschooling mother of four, Kris is passionate about Jesus, people and words.   Her heart beats to share the hard, but glorious truth about  life in Christ. She’s been known to take gratuitous pictures of her culinary creations, causing mouths to water all across Instagram. Once upon a time, she ran 10 miles for Compassion International, a ministry for which she serves as an advocate. Kris is the author of, Holey, Wholly, Holy: A Lenten Journey of Refinement, and the follow up, Companion Workbook. You can read more from Kris at kriscamealy.com

Comments

All I can say is wow, Kris. I love when God speaks the same message to a sister, right about the same time. It just confirms for me that He is at work … big time.

Early this morning, I hit publish to the same heart words as you have penned.

He’s putting an invitation out there that we badly need, yes?

Blessings …

• 1.1

Linda,
      I too always appreciate when the same message crops up. It helps confirm the message he’s speaking, and encourages me to embrace it in hope and expectation. Praying for you in your quieting.

How interesting. My link-up tonight was about when we say “yes” to something and how to avoid making impulse decisions. Let your “yes” be yes, and your “no,” be no.

I know that if God ever asks in our hearts to say “yes” to quiet time with Him the right answer is always most definitely a “yes.” Jesus Himself often went to be alone with the Lord. How much more should we!

I love your style of writing and can relate. Thanks for sharing your words here! They’ve been an encouragement to me.
    Cooking Up Faith

Kris – Beautiful & vulnerable post. As I read of your concern in being forgotten, this is the Scripture that immediately came to mind…”Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you!” (Isaiah 49:15, NLT). You will not be forgotten. Not ever. May you rest in Him.
    Blessings,
    Joanne

You already know how much I love you and how much your conviction inspires mine. I’ve shared this little quote already once today but it seems appropriate here as well: “We think that to stand out, to reach the top, to become a star, we have to stick up for our rights and promote ourselves. God says just the opposite. Because the natural inclination for most of us is to promote ourselves and our rights. But when you trust God, you do not need to do your own promotion. Brokenness is letting God take over your public relations department. . . . Being broken enlarges your capacity for life. Being unbroken dwarfs your capacity for love and for God.” Alan Nelson, Embracing Brokenness

• 6.1

That Alan Nelson has some good words there. I am ever grateful that you shared them with me. This is a beautifully difficult season and I am blessed to be encouraged by you in it. God is good and trustworthy. I believe that whatever He makes of this, if I will remain surrendered to Him, will be far greater than anything I could have conjured up by my own *try harder* attitude. Who knew learning to rest could be so challenging? Oh, but I’m learning…..

Love you, Shelly. You are one He uses often in my life to remind me of His presence.

Ro elliott says

Oh Kris… I always love where you wrestle… We must always remind ourselves …it’s His love for us that leads us in and out of seasons… It’s His Love and desire to build relationship with Him… He longs for deep intimacy with us… Just like a marriage… True Intimacy between lovers doesn’t happen with an audience… either does it with the Lover of our souls… And no matter where we are…either being called from the crowds… Or to the crowds… It takes trusting His Love for us… And this seems to be a life long journey…or at least for me!

• 7.1

Ro, I love the way you said this–that the deeper intimacy comes apart from the crowds. That is *just* the perspective I needed this morning. God bless you, my friend. You’re speaking beautiful truth here, and I am comforted by it. Thank you for how you always (Always!!) encourage me. XO

Kris, this is such a great post. Rest is so overlooked. I doubt any of us even consider giving a full 7th of our time to it. Go do some living and some reflecting with lots of prayer and time in the Word just enjoying God’s presence. Love you lady. PS – I miss you every Thursday night at FMFParty. I believe you and Lindsay started it all. Oh, about that writing bit, I don’t think stepping away hurt Harper Lee’s platform or reach. ;)

• 9.1

Amy,
      thank you for these words. I read your comment over and over, and your words bless me so much. I miss my time with FMFparty. We did start it, in an organic kind of way. I need to make an effort to connect there again. I am often just *so* tired by 11PM. ;) Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. You’re right about Harper Lee, and even more than that, God is bigger than all of these fears and concerns. He holds it all. He is more than capable. Love you, friend!!

Kris, I needed to read these words tonight. A dear friend and I were just chatting about this today … how there are seasons to everything, and I do believe that REST is essential. You are right, it is a bit frightening. I pray that your rest from the online world brings you peace and the ability to listen completely to God.

I am entering a time of rest, and what you said about it being a reward really helps me to approach this with a different attitude.

Thank you – you spoke right to me with this post.

• 10.1

Mary, I am so grateful that something in these words resonates with you. Praying for you as you enter into this restful season. May you find true stillness and restoration for your spirit.

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

It will always be useful to read content from other authors and practice a little something from their websites.