He Is Not Safe, But He Is Good

Tomorrow we leave for Kenya.

My husband and I have been watching the news closely.

These are not safe times in our world.

And I keep reminding myself God has not called us to safety.

Even though it’s my favorite.

Some days the very title of my book mocks me.

Sometimes –often– our yes to God is scary.

Obedience is risky.

But when I shut out the what ifs, I can clearly see that God holds us close.

You may be standing on the dangerous precipice of your yes. The unknowns are terrifying, the fear tangible, but the peace palpable.

God is with us.

And when we ask, “Is He safe?” The answer is no. But He is good.” CS Lewis

Would you pray for us?

• Pray for peace in Kenya.
  • Pray for protection over our homes, the staff, girls, babies.
  • Pray for wisdom and direction over key decisions that will be made in meetings.
  • Pray for the dozens of young, pregnant and single mothers we will be inviting into our new community outreach in the heart of two slums.
  • Pray for me? I’m a big baby and I just need a lot of Jesus.

I’ll be blogging from Africa. Follow our journey on Instagram.

Comments

Heather S. says

Praying and can’t wait to see the wonderful ways God reveals Himself to your family on this trip!

I just got back from Ethiopia and was a little scares myself. We were under terriorsts threats the whole time, but I didn’t go I would have missed 5 salvations, 1 conversion from Muslim to Christianity and all the other big God sized miracles I was allowed to witness! I’m praying for you and can’t wait to see what God does this trip

Thank you for this. I needed to be reminded of this today. In a few months our family of 5 will move to Nepal to serve full time. But what you said is so right, That what God has called us to is not safety. And that saying yes to God doesn’t mean everything is easy. Thank you for this reminder!

Cindy Turner says

Praying God’s blessing and protection on you and your family as you trust Him with your Yes!
    For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 1:20

Christina says

Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

Claiming this verse for you and your family on your trip. If God has called you to go, then you can be certain that he will go before you, walk beside you, and follow behind creating a fortress of protection. It is not safe in many places in Kenya these days, but there is no safer place to be than in the middle of God’s will. Thank you for walking in obedience to his call in your life.

Deb says

Praying for you- we are in Nairobi and it feels peaceful, (peaceful but alert). There is much security everywhere. Praying for peace, wisdom and grace for you all.

Your posts always seem to be EXACTLY what I need! We are in the middle of our second day in Uganda. Our family just moved here to serve the beautiful people of Uganda. We have three daughters, 11, 9, and 5. You can imagine my fears! Thank you for book, I absolutely devoured it and thank you for this post! I feel we have so much in common. I am praying for you and your time in Kenya!

The times we are in are definitely not safe, but God will be with you. I will be praying for you and the work you are doing. We do know that wherever you are God is with you always. Good luck and you are on my prayer list!

Kate H Rushin says

Praying that you will continue to see the hope and the wonder that God gives through your obedience to Him.