We went swimming yesterday.
Which also doubles as bathing.
And we had popcorn, which obviously counts as dinner.
That made me think of all the great shortcuts summer allows.
And then I asked the brilliant moms in my Facebook community to share their summer hacks.
So, I give you awesome:
- Leftover birthday cake is breakfast.
- Toweling the floor after a bath equals mopping.
- Playing with your kids counts as a workout.
- Raisins double as vegetables.
- Waking up a little later every day, so instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner, we’re eating just two larger meals each day. With snacks like yogurt, string cheese, trail mix etc, when needed.
- Make-Your-Own-Breakfast was such a hit, we added Make-Your-Own-Lunch.
- Getting to the library semi-regularly equals the homeschooling structure you were going to keep over the summer.
- Playing in the rain or with a hose counts as bath time. It also waters the yard.
- Let your boys wear just their underwear to bed. Less laundry!
- Or dress in shorts and t-shirt to bed. Already dressed in the morning.
- Sandals! No washing socks!
- More outside time means less messes created inside to pick up.
- Berry picking farms….kids stay busy, they leave full – on fruit, no less! and you have dessert for a few days with some ice cream or cobbler-making.
- Visit Costco or Whole Foods when they are passing out samples=free lunch!
- Watermelon for lunch.
- PJs -> swimsuits -> PJs. Repeat the next day.
- Ice cream sundaes once in a while for dinner=happy kids & “Mom of the Year” award. Win-win for everyone!
- Having the older kids read to the youngest to “practice” their reading.
- Swim naked in the backyard. Less laundry.
- Put soap in the baby pool=bath
- Trade screen time for kids for house cleaning chores.
- Spirited running through sprinklers = Homeschool PE.
- Cereal: a meal or snack.
- Jammies all day .
- After swim lessons, walk through public shower, put on pj’s, fall asleep in car on way home! No bath, no fighting bed time, no “just one more story, pleeeeeeease!” Grand Slam!
What would you add?
*Photo by my friend Taylor Handfelt