WFMW: The Secret to a Greater Yes

YesWFMW

I’m happy to introduce you to this week’s guest poster Arabah for my Wednesday series Yes, Works For Me! Please welcome her and be encouraged by her yes to God and continue to link up what works for you.

I’m jealous of people with super-sized God dreams and extra large yeses.

There, I said it.

I wish I could believe God for huge things and then go jump off an airplane at 10,000 feet on a rescue mission.  Or something. But truth is, I’m a woman with trust issues.

That’s pertinent information because when I tell you I’ve lived an international, nomadic life for over a decade, that I’ve eaten pig snouts and given birth in three different countries, that I’ve adopted a child from a hard place, and moved more times than I can count, it sure isn’t because I’m the adventurous type.

{Trust me. I didn’t find out about the pig nose until after the fact, if you know what I mean.}

I look back over my life and don’t see any big choices, no jumps or leaps of faith… just small little yeses every day. Over time, this is where they’ve led.

Yes is like a seed. It grows over time. But I’ve learned a little secret. Our yes is only as big as our trust. So if I want a greater yes…and I do… I need to strengthen my trust muscles.

In John 6:28-29, some people told Jesus they wanted to do God’s works too. So they asked Jesus what they should do. I imagine they were asking for all of us, because it is a desire God’s people have, to do God’s works.

Jesus answered them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe.”

arabah

In other words, the work of believing God is the greatest yes of all. It prompts and enables all the other yeses.

It doesn’t take someone special to do big things, it just takes faith in a big God. To me, that is really great news!

We see this in Abraham. Isaiah 51:2 tells us to ponder his story, to realize that when God called Abram, he was a measly, solitary one. He wasn’t the Abraham we generally think of: wealthy, blessed, full of life and God’s favor, rich in faith, intimate with God. He was none of those things. Yet it was through faith that Abram became Abraham, the father of nations.

It could be our story too.

God is always issuing the invitation to trust, to move out of ordinary into the realm of yes.

It doesn’t have to be big. Maybe it means we stop viewing our lives as boring and mundane and instead believe everything we do is significant. (I Corinthians 10:31)

Maybe it means speaking to the person in line at the grocery.

Maybe it means writing a letter or paying it forward or just hushing that inner voice of condemnation over our failures based on the truth of God’s word.

We can’t follow the traditions of others or the culture around us. We can’t do things the way we’ve always done. Saying yes means we trust God… then step out and do things differently. We think and move in new patterns.

A life of trust is one small yes after the other, minute after minute, day after day. The result is a legacy we can be proud of.

No 10,000 feet plunges required.

Unless, of course, that’s what’s on your invite.

So, what is your yes going to be today?

Bio:

Arabah Joy is wife to Jackson and mom to four frog-loving, scooter-toting kids. She and her family live on the 26th floor of a high rise somewhere in Asia. She is author of several books, including the just released book, Trust Without Borders, a part memoir, part spiritual guide to living a life of trust. She loves connecting with readers on her blog at www.arabahjoy.com.

Comments

I was just reminded of a book my mentor borrowed me which I read with my kids entitled, “Eating goat parts for the glory of God”

Oh my! The things we “get to” do as we follow Him.

Believing. We don’t really consider it a work, but I have often thought of it as something that ‘just happens’ and now I think it is both. I’m glad you brought up Abraham because his faith was a progression of him learning God and himself. Mistakes, forgiveness, grace and …simply walking…seeking…responding to God until the ultimate test where his faith proved golden.

I so love the Lord and his wise ways with His children. As always, your post is full of truth and application. That is one of your gifts Arabah Joy, teaching application of truth.

Arabah,

There is so much in here that speaks to me, it’s not even funny. I often think of the people who wanted to say yes to Jesus but who told Him things like “I need to bury my father first” and I wonder what I’m saying I need to do first (pay the bills comes to mind). I love what you say about stretching our trust muscles and saying small yeses one at a time. So encouraging.

• 2.1

Hm, that does make me think. Such good questions, Kim. This is a great verse to relate to this topic. Thank you so much for adding to the discussion and giving me pause. And also for your encouragement :)

Such encouragement here! Our little yeses lead to bigger yeses. Thank you Jesus for letting me start with some small ones first! And if only I could go back to each time I said “no”….
    I love the way you connect belief with being the greatest yes. Solid words. Good words. Every forward faith motion springs from simply believing God, does it not. I look forward to reading your blog!

• 3.1

So, so true, Beth. It is always great to know we can take baby steps. Just one small yes at a time. A pastor told me once that faith is like walking… foot out, then fall a bit, then a catch. That’s the spiritual life, take a small risk, say a small yes…the fall…the catch.

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog weeb site?
    The account aided mee a accceptable deal. I had been a little bbit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

Erin says

I am not normally a commenter, but I have wanted to ask this question to the “yes in my mess” writers for a long time. What if you want to say yes, you are so completely willing and even seeking out opportunities…and it feels like God doesn’t want you? My husband and I spent the past 10 years striving toward a life as overseas missionaries, and finally this year we accepted the fact that no one is sending us (we have applied and been rejected). God is not sending us. We look for opportunities where we are, but even they don’t feel right. Right now we are volunteering as a family (of six – we have four children) once a week at a mission center that hosts ESL and kids clubs and we feel like outsiders, unnecessary, “just another” volunteer. We are dying to say YES YES YES!!! But…maybe we are really blind…we just can’t seem to find the opportunities! It gets discouraging, ya know?

I have always struggled to say yes. God has been working on me for a long time on this very thing! I just recently said yes to something He’s been asking for almost seven years. It’s scary but exciting!

Thank you for posting! :)

where can i buy bread beer

Define giving her a very preventive measures when writing your insurance policy for action. Of course it will mean to love whatever you
    do, so whatever topic your write on, enjoy it. Homemade bread system (http://support.thufri.com/entries/41723005-The-Master-Cleanselemonade-Diet-Newsletter) Write on how you will convince your mother to acquire a pet cat for you.

When creating articles don’t just post them for a site, mentioned previously above.

minecraft skins

From the main menu, choose ‘Edit Profile’ underneath
    the ‘Profile’ tab. You have created great art beginning which has a FADE IN and ending
    having a FADE OUT. one
    try minecraft for free online no download Some of them might seem
    scary or undependable to start with, but turn out to
    be the changes that make our lives worth living.
    Once you have your keyword or topic, take one minute and think about three simple points you can make about that topic.

composite to hdmi converter best buy

Knowing some creative writing ideas for kids is very necessary
    if you desire the young minds sharp and inventive.
    A satire essay is really a work that is certainly meant
    to poke fun at a specific subject. Av to
    hdmi converter radio shack anyways (imsourcing.zendesk.com) Far from blowing their time on frat
    parties, today’s students will be more likely to get
    burdened with work and family demands upon their time.
    com, you need to apply and become accepted before it is possible to start earning profits.

堀北真希 アイドルだったらゴマキと松浦亜弥が最強だったのかなと思う
    上戸彩、大政絢、川口春奈、香里奈、剛力彩芽、北川景子、桐谷美玲、忽那汐里、
    AKBの時みたいにチケットやらグッズやらを自社買い取り配りまくりしてくれるわけじゃないから架空集客すらできないし

Think about what your individual term paper paper is requesting from you, then think about solutions to put inside central subject.
    There can be another limit of three submissions from each member per day, which you’ll be able to follow
    or ignore your discretion. 堀北真希 動画 imageblogs.net Article writing
    and blog writing work techniques to create people aware and spread information about company.
    You can get these answers from Writing Stories: Scary Stories published by Heinemann Publishing and
    published by Anita Ganeri.

Visualize before Writing: Visualisation of though process always helps
    writers to create interesting and effective content.
    If you have about 50 % of what you want to write down, just take a shorter break and
    walk about for several minutes. best (customercare.disdus.com) The organic results can have ‘basic’, ‘intermediate’, or
    ‘advanced’ reading levels for each of the page results. Administrative are for those that are
    in the job but need a fantastic position or appraisal or probably moving
    out of employment for another.

You could get the tape of Dean singing through the desk, and obtain Vera’s master key.
    Electricity supplied by way of a battery or combustion engine for the ground is sent
    with the control line for the aircraft. Baofeng uv-5r nl
    Before, r / c can simply be accessed by turning on your radio transistor.

With this bad economy, I’m making more money than ever before because I’ve trained
    my mind to perform that; returning again for the quote that you must have two perspectives.

Baofeng case It was Robert who came up with all the idea
    [and said], “Why don’t we write this book. These are nice cars which can be electric operated and therefore they look
    similar towards the real ones around in most roads.

In the middle begin to introduce the fact that you have the solutions.

Over earlier times nine years as a specialist writer and published author, I’ve gleaned plenty of advice to
    reside by from teachers, friends, and books. Baofeng encryption baofeng uv-5r lock
    You don’t must waste money and time seeking the aid of writers who are certainly not qualified.
    So your comment has to expose an issue clearly and courteously.