I stood at the counter opening mail when my little girl held up her white tank top and asked, “What is this thing?” pointing to the elastic band. She’s small for her 8 years, but I was surprised her size 6 top had a built-in bra. I explained what it was and she giggled.
I couldn’t blame her. But I know how fast time flies and I know what’s coming.
I pulled a book from a package and the colorful cover caught her attention. “What’s that?” I was excited to see my friend’s new book, thinking I would put it up for when my daughter was old enough to read it. “It’s a devotional book for tweens,” I said and flipped it over to read the back cover.
“It says ages 8-11. Does that make me a tween?” She asked with pride and excitement.
No. But help me, Lord, it’s getting closer.
We’ve been snuggling up on my bed before bedtime nearly every night since, reading For Girls Like You: A Devotional for Tweens together. Tween or not, it’s something she’s ready to jump into. This is a book she could really read on her own, but I love the few minutes together and the conversation that follows.
The world will educate and influence our girls if we let it. I’d rather teach my daughter about values and self-value. I’ve shared these resources before, but I continue to get emails asking me for suggested resources for our daughters. Here’s what I’ve got:
Books for Mom and Dad (Body image, modesty, sex, purity, boys):
- Preparing Your Daughter for Every Woman’s Battle (Teen)
- Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter (Tween to Teen)
- Your Girl: Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World (Tween)
- Six Ways to Keep the “Little” in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens (Tweent to Teen)
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Books/Magazines for Daughters:
- Perfectly Unique: Praising God from Head to Foot (Teen)
- Redefining Beautiful: When God Sees You (Tween to Teen)
- Graceful: Letting Go of Your Try-Hard Life (Older Teen)
- For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think (Teens)
- Body Talk (Faithgirlz!) (Tween)
- Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty (Tween to Teen)
- Before You Meet Prince Charming (Teen)
- BeTween: A Preteen Girl’s Guide to Life
Devotions to have with your Girls (Tween to Teen):
- The One Year Mother-Daughter Devo
- Devotions for the God Girl: A 365-Day Journey
- Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood
- The One Year Father-Daughter Devotions
- 8 Great Dates for Moms and Daughters: How to Talk About True Beauty, Cool Fashion, and…Modesty! (Secret Keeper (Harvest House))
Stylish Clothing Sites with Modest Choices for teens/girls:
- Secret Keeper Girl Event
- Passport to Purity (host your own-loved doing this!)
- Vicky Courtney Events (mother/daughter)
- Silver Ring Thing (Purity commitment event)
- Good Girl Comeback (or host your own)
Positive Girl Clubs/Groups:
- Britt Nicole
- Francesca Battistelli
- Jamie Grace
Websites for our Girls:
- A Mighty Girl: collection of books, toys and movies for smart, confident, and courageous girls