Lightening lit up the midnight sky and I squinted in the dark to see the clock. 3 A.M.
My husband’s normal spot in bed next to me contained a drooling second grader, arms and legs sprawled.
I could see his shadow as he stood next to the window and watched the rain. “She was scared of the thunder,” he whispered. “The yard is flooded. I’m going to stay awake for awhile and make sure it doesn’t get worse.”
It’s just like him to stand guard over our home and family. To watch and wait. To protect and provide. To give up his warm spot in the bed, to get up at the crack of dawn to make sure the Mercy House warehouse roof isn’t leaking water on our precious fair trade product.
It’s been raining for 30 days here in Texas and the ground can’t hold much more. But I turned over and went back to sleep with an 8 year old’s knee in my back. Because I knew Dad was on duty.
He’s often the last in bed, locking up and turning out lights and the first up, shaking tired teens awake for school. Many mornings, by the time I’m awake, he’s made lunches and has breakfast in the oven. Yeah, I know. He’s for real.
My husband rocks.
So does their Dad.
We work together every day and that means sharing car line and dinner duties, after-school practices and late night accounting, travel and speaking engagements. But I think it’s too easy to take the good in our lives for granted. So, I thought we should share 9 things the kids and I love about the man of our house:
- He doesn’t step over the hairball in the kitchen floor or pretend it isn’t there. He picks it up. (And sometimes chases the kids around the house with it).
- He puts the family’s needs and dreams in front of his own.
- He always make us laugh by singing silly songs, making up goofy words or holding us down and tickling us to Level 41 (and sometimes he embarrasses us. But only when he wears his cowboy hat to school activities).
- He protect us. We have never felt afraid with Dad in the house (Mom, on the other hand, is a big chicken).
- He can grill anything. And he enjoys it.
- He talks to our kids about hard things– past mistakes and hopes for the future.
- He is the Master Looker in the house. Nothing is really lost on his watch. (Except for Mom’s keys at the beach on Spring Break. But we all know they are somewhere).
- He cherishes his wife and gives his kids a darn good example of what committed love looks like.
- He carries pictures of his family where his money used to be.
We love our Union28 shirts! Tell the world the man of your house rocks with “My Dad Rocks” kids shirts and “My Husband Rocks” t-shirts just in time for Father’s Day and get 15% off with coupon code: u28WATF15