Miracles Happen When You Speak Up

I was late.

So, I slipped into the back of the crowded room and crouched on the floor.

I couldn’t see the face of speaker, Tom Davis, CEO of Children’s Hope Chest at the Together for Adoption Breakout Q&A Session. But it didn’t matter, his words still pierced.

He is a modern-day abolishionist, rescuing young girls from the terrifying grips of sex slavery. Every minute a child in our world is trafficked. Every minute.

I listened as he answered questions about the unbelievable life these girls lead, most servicing a dozen or more men every day and the dangerous covert rescue operations that his organization orchestrates with the local police.

It was terrible and beautiful to hear.

One of the questions: “How many girls do you know about that need to be rescued right now?”

Tom Davis: “Three. It costs about $2000.00 per rescue.”

He went on to describe the safe house the girls are taken to and the elaborate process of rehabilitation.

It was time for the session to end. As Tom shared his final thoughts, a man from the crowd pressed towards the front. He was nervous as he spoke, but their was authority and anointing behind his words, “I don’t know Tom Davis and his associate. I don’t know any of you. But I know there are about 80 people in this room. And there are 3 girls who are in slavery, being forced into the unthinkable, waiting to be rescued. If we all gave $30 each, we would have enough money to rescue one of them right now. My company will match whatever is given today,” he urged in the hushed room.

Tom Davis concluded the session with prayer.

My own tears splashed onto my $30 check as I ripped it from the checkbook. The room was noisy with silent tears and generosity.

Within minutes the table at the front of the room looked like this:

On my own, I couldn’t rescue a girl being sex trafficked. But my small check added to 79 others, makes a powerful impact.

It’s the power of working together for the cause of Christ. It’s ordinary mixed with God’s extra.

It’s taking 3 minutes to pray for the 3 girls raped every 45 minutes in Kenya. It’s giving $3 a month.

That off-the-cuff gesture by one man listening to the urging in his inner man didn’t raise enough money to rescue one girl or three.

That pile of money will rescue six girls being sex trafficked. Six!

Don’t underestimate the power of doing something, even when it seems insignificant. Don’t think that your small gesture doesn’t matter. Don’t let the opportunity pass to make a difference in the life of someone today.

*photo from the conference Twitter stream

Comments

OMGoodness…. that is AWESOME… Thanksf or sharing. I love hearing stories how the Lord is working, especially in something like this.

It was so great to meet you. I look forward to keeping in contact and being a voice right along side of you as we speak up for orphans and the children that are trafficked every day.

Lots of hugs,
    Elizabeth

Hi, I think I was right in front of you when you took the picture of the money pile. :) Is that the total count? Enough for 6 girls? Was it announced somewhere? If it was, could you send me the link or something. Thanks. :)

I asked my 3 teenage daughters, ages 14, 16, and 18, if they had heard of girls being kidnapped and/ or taken to be part of a world wide sex trade. They had heard bits and pieces. After reading your posts about it, they decided to pool their babysitting money together each month and help support the Mercy House! ‘Once we have the knowledge of people in trouble, we become accountable to help,’ they said. AMEN!!!

Tears spilled over spontaneously when I scrolled and saw the picture of the table with people’s hearts manifested through their checkbooks/pockets. The power of “together” is simply astounding sometimes. Praise God!

Crying at the awesomeness of our God and praising Him that He gave that man the courage to speak up..what an amazing thing to witness and thank you for sharing it with us!

I’m so grateful that we’re becoming more aware of human trafficking these days. It is horrendous that this kind of slavery is not unusual at all. It is awe inspiring that there are noble, obedient men and women willing to tackle the problem head on, literally rescuing girls from this danger.
    Thank you for obediently sharing your heart and resources. You gave a great example of how God makes little things count toward something very, very big.

Oh. my. word.
    Praise the Lord!
    And yet there is so much more work to be done.
    That could be MY little girls but for the grace of God!

This is practical and this is doable. And God is AMAZING! In the midst of the disgustingness!

Oh my heavens, what an awesome opportunity you were given in that moment! I’ve got chills and tears streaming down my face after reading this! God bless that man who spoke up and you and all the others who gave! You’re making a difference, Kristen!

“Snowflakes are one of nature’s most fragile things, but just look at what they can do when they stick together.” ~Anon

One person may not be able to do anything. But many people together?

We can change the world.

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” ~ Hellen Keller

I couldn’t figure out how to email you directly, so I’m leaving a comment. Have you thought about trying to guest post at Internet Cafe. I post there once a month and I know sometimes they have guest contributors. I just thought it might be away to spread what you are doing…..

Amy

Lisa Johnson says

I wish I could write as well as you. Your words are beautiful and tell the story so well, bringing me to tears again. I am so glad we met!!

Wow… awesome… God is faithful. Wow.

so love reading here…. encouraged.

Did you know Maureen is going to spend time with Mandi at the orphanage.

Hugs,
    Teena

Scott Crawford says

I was one of the attendees to that breakout, Kristen. Words cannot describe that experience. The Holy Spirit was surely in that room and surely led to that collection of roughly $7k that day for those rescues. Thank you for sharing this.

PS I didn’t realize that you were there or I would have tried to catch up with you. It was such an amazing and inspiring time for His glory, wasn’t it? No doubt many orphans and vulnerable children out there will have their lives transformed and come to Christ.

Scott

Ashley says

Hallee,

That is awful that this happens in the world. We (I) often get so caught up in the awful mess of the world that my family is in and then I read this and it is NO comparison to what these girls/women are going through. My heart and prayers go out to them. I am so blessed to have you in my life, for you are such a wonderful reminder to me and my family why Christ did what he did. You are a blessed Angel! Loads of Love! Ashley Roberts

I have to tell you that I just found your site today and I love what I see. This is a sad, sad tragedy that is taking place all over the world. My brother and his family are serving in the country of Moldova and they have a home for girls that have gotten out of that life of trafficing. It is a slow process of healing for them, but God is able. One of my favorite songs is by Michael Gungor Band – “Beautiful Things”. God can take a completely broken life and turn it into something beautiful.

Brystal says

Kristen, tonight is the launch for a project I have been working on to free 5 people from slavery through the International Justice Mission (a similar organization). It is so encouraging to hear that the Lord is stirring in people’s heart all over to set his precious ones free. Thanks for your part in freedom. Blessings! http://www.freefive.org

VickiS says

HOW WONDERFUL!! With GOD everything is possible! Reminds me of how I should get out of the way and let God be God!