{Dear Mr. Welch}: On Love Letters

Dear Mr. Welch,

I think about the yellowing stack of letters tied with a shoestring hidden from our children and nosey people, the letters that still bring a red blush to my cheeks.

Remember our hot words on cool paper? We were so young, so far apart from each other, but words brought us together. Words created all of this (wide-arm gesturing over the piles of laundry and floating dust bunnies). We fell deeply, madly in love over letters scratched out while my first grade class was at recess.

It was the season I went from Ms. Clark to Mrs. Welch over the Christmas break, now more than 17 years ago.

It’s always been easier for me to use words, written, typed, unspoken. And then whispered later.

I’m so glad we’re taking the time to write letters to each other. I find it very attractive to discover you hunched over with pen in hand.

There’s just something about a letter. You’ve made that a special, treasured gift in our home and I thank you for it. I look forward to that crawling red blush again.

Love,

Mrs. Welch

My hubby and I are writing love letters.  You should join in, too. It’s one of the best ways to celebrate hot monogamy!

Ideas for Writing Your Spouse Love Letters:

• Set up a special email account that’s just for the two of you
  • Send her the emails or just keep them in draft and show her on an anniversary
  • Use special stationary that’s just for your love letters
  • Give him/her a special box to store the letters in
  • Be positive in your letters
  • Make the delivery fun and creative (scavenger hunt, stamp and mail them, put an ad in the classified section, etc)
  • You don’t have to write all the time, but make the time you write about special

Need more ideas? Here are 28 Creative Love Letter Ideas. Do you write to your spouse?

Comments

Well, yes, I do! I decided that this month I will write my husband a letter every day. I’m so excited!!! I can’t wait to check out your link but I love the creative ideas of having an email acct just for us and using creative ways to get him to find the letters. How fun! I can’t wait to utilize that this month.

Soooo cute! My husband is much better and leaving me cards “just because” more often than I do. I’ll initiate converstaions with him via chat throughout the day (just to tell him I love him, etc.) – but he is much better at the intentional & romantic aspect of buying cards. There will be times I’ll get in my SUV to find the gas-tank filled and a card waiting for me on the steering wheel – I love it!

Although, since his “love language” is verbal affirmation – I try to be intentional about being vocal to him and others how much I love and appreciate the things he does. I’m a very lucky girl :-)

I’m thinking the grocery list i just wrote out for him doesn’t count. I’m a little jealous, we never write to each other. :(

I admit we have gotten wrapped up in life and the stress of it. Think I should get a cup of coffee and keep reading!

I just blogged on this yesterday. There truly is something about writing your love down. After all, the Greatest Love Letter ever written was indeed written. February is the perfect month to start this. {BTW–I also mentioned on my blog the awesome Mr. & Mrs. Journal at DaySpring for an amazing Valentine’s Gift. Readers, check it out.}

Debra says

So fun! My husband and I just started writing in our Mr & Mrs. journal thanks to your post about that around Christmas time. I gave it to him as a special gift Christmas morning because it was just the two of us. I also go the “love notes” that go with it. We are having so much fun doing it!! And my kids know we do and they of course thinks it’s silly so it’s a good time for us to show them how a Godly marriage is. Thanks so much for sharing!

Annette says

When my husband and I dated we were 3,000 miles apart. We only saw each other one weekend a month. However, we talked and emailed daily. Our emails were long, deep, thought provoking, and meaningful. I printed every email we sent back and forth and it’s been a idea of mine to make a book of them and give them to my husband as a gift.
    We don’t write as often now but he travels every week across country and I hinted that a note would be nice so the last two weeks a nice card has arrived! We both express ourselves so much better on paper.
    Another thing we did was a spiritual devotional together while we were dating. We’d discuss it on the phone and pray together every night before we each said goodnight. It really made our relationship so much stronger.
    So for Christmas I found another one for us by Dr. Dobson called Night Light Devotional for couples.