The Real School Supply List Every Kid Needs

She starts high school in a couple of days.

photo copy

That little brown-eyed baby girl made me a mother and now I’m wishing I could make the clock slow down.

I showed her how to make her bed and her lunch and now she’s showing me how she will make her way.

Something special happened this summer. We don’t always get to see our kids grow-it’s slow and steady, it’s something we recognize after the fact. But there was a moment when time slowed down and I noticed the tilt of her chin, the determination in her eyes, the rapture of deciding who she is and realizing no one can take that away.

It was a brief glimpse of her becoming and it was beautiful.

She’s ready for those Chuck Taylors to take her places.

My son is starting junior high. His growth is obvious, man-sized hands and feet, hard to miss. I’ve never known a more g00d-natured soul, the kind of person who you just want to be around all the time. He is insightful and funny. He brings peace along with him.

I pray an invisible shield around his kind and thoughtful heart and pray the world doesn’t chip away his strength and resolve.

photo

My baby, a second grader. Oh, time.

photo copy 2

We finished up school supplies and my oldest asked about her high school list. I told her the teachers would tell her everything she needs on the first day of school.

“Mom, I need a pencil and paper at least. I can’t go unprepared,” her way of saying, One more trip to Target, please?

Prepared. We spend a lot of time in preparation, don’t we, moms?

But there isn’t a school supply list in the world that contains all I want to give my kids and it’s not what the world tells me they need.

While our culture says they need more selfies and self esteem, I want my kids to be more selfless. Find the new kid.

While our world says they need to fit in, I want my kids to stand out. Be different. Be themselves.

While our society says they are not enough, I want my kids to know that’s okay. Because Jesus is Enough.

school time

The Real Back-to-School Supply List:

We can instill purpose in them | We are raising kids in a culture that is constantly changing its moral code. And without deep-rooted purpose, it’s far too easy for our children to get tossed around by whatever is politically correct or by social norms that shift without warning. If we don’t teach our kids we are here to glorify God and our ultimate purpose is to know Him and make Him known, no one else will.

We can encourage positive community around them| When we’re expecting our kids to live in the world, but not be like it, it’s absolutely crucial to provide opportunities for positive community. It’s actually not always convenient to attend church youth group or get together with like-minded friends, but it must be a priority. Kids need to feel like they belong somewhere. And they will.

We can offer them a safe place to fall and fail | Our kids grow through failure. We all have bad days and offering them a safe place to be themselves is a gift. If they have to keep it all together all the time, they just might fall part in the wrong place. Be their safety net. We don’t have to expect failure, but our kids should be able to expect our support no matter what.

We can remind them to be kind and thoughtful to others | Nothing makes me prouder than when I hear that my kids were kind to the new kid or reached out to someone. Parents are often the best teachers. When we take time to serve or put others first, we are teaching our children that this is valuable.

We can show them the beauty of faithfulness when life is hard | In our culture, it’s too easy to quit when things get tough. When we are faithful in hardships, this is when we learn. This is success. Expecting our kids to be faithful to their commitments is something they will carry through life.

We can choose to live in peace | Our world is in chaos. It’s a scary time to be raising kids today and we can’t predict or provide peace in the world. But we can try and provide it at home. We can pick our battles with each other and especially with those who choose to live differently than we do. It’s not really about tolerance; it’s about love.

So, let’s send our kids armed with backpacks and scissors and no. 2 pencils, new shoes, a great breakfast and a pat on the back to “do your best,” but  let’s also remember there are important things we can offer them that can’t be found on the Back to School aisle.

Comments

Yes! To all of this. So thankful for your experience on the parenting road and the encouragement you give to so many of us to not grow weary…really was convicted about letting my home be the place they can feel safe to fall apart.

Yes! LOVE everything about this post…especially related to the part about finding the new kid. I was the “new kid” my whole life. My Dad was in the USAF and we moved…a LOT. I mean, I was in 3 different schools during my 4th grade year. Seriously. I have tried to teach my own children to reach out to the new kids. by reaching out to the new people who come into our church or community. My life has definitely been enhanced and enriched when people have reached out to me. :)

LisaL says

I LOVE reading your post! They are so inspirational and I can relate to alot of them. This one is spot on. Your advice about finding the new kid resonated with me. I’ve been saying that to my son for as long as I can remember. I also tell him if he see’s someone sitting along or looking for a place to sit in the lunchroom to always invite them to join his table. I have explained to him that if he was the one looking for a place to sit, I would want someone to reach out to him. A simple gesture like that may not be a big deal to to him but can mean the world to someone else.

Your post really made me think and I love the part you included about giving our children a safe place to fall and fail. We’ve always reminded our kids that home is safe and a place where we can truly be ourselves. Kristen, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! BTW, I’m reading “Rhinestone Jesus” for the 3rd time; this time to my children:)

I recently happened upon your blog, and I’m really enjoying your posts! My children are not quite school age yet, but this is really helpful to think about as I am trying to teach and train them how to be more like Christ. Thanks for the tips!

great post, all of it, but this part right here: It’s not really about tolerance; it’s about love. this is my fav. thanks for sharing

asus x200ca

In first a lot of people get bogged down with what they think they should come up with.
    Do not tempted to go overboard with all the bonuses you desire to convey quality and a great deal,
    too many bonuses could make you seem desperate and diminish your credibility.
    Asus x200ca review accordance
    The writing tips needs to be utilized while drafting a letter of recommendation. Your greater English writing text have
    to be nicely structured.

does peanut butter go bad if left out

This is response for your recent request for a letter of recommendation for
    [name]. If you are force to write, you may gain nothing but another hardships
    once you happen to be back into writing. concerning (hawkee.com) how to tell if garlic is old He was never afraid to request help with how to further improve his writing
    and delivery on-air. Banks don’t operate as lone entities; they operate over funds of their customers and clients.

celiac disease

Many Americans can boast by using each succeeding generation the
    family’s status has improved. Though most of the time people would just claim that it’s hard
    to locate a job nowadays, it could also be because of how one’s application resume was
    constructed inside first place. Gluten free foods at
    walmart along (https://beyondtheuniform.Zendesk.com) Body part is the most important part inside research paper, occupying most from
    the length of paper. “It is also a method to build trust with the client by having a common consensus regarding the project process and a high-level acceptance criterion.

calculate calories to maintain weight

In other words, if you go into writing your dissertation or thesis thinking that you simply will encounter writer’s block and ultimately fail, in that case your predictions will probably come
    true. Drawers spanning the width of the desk under the writing surface
    were also common. Seeing calories burned walking 2 miles
    at 3.5 mph Students use academic writing services because such
    services are extremely helpful to them inside their studies.
    There are so many content creation sites on the internet, but I don’t believe all turn out really worth writing for.

堀北真希 思春期の男の子にはアイドルが下着姿で戯れるなんて十分オカズになるもんな
    こういうプロレス的なノリが楽しい時期ってあるよなあ
    芸スポってここ最近、昔のようなキチガイみたいなアンチAKB

If you were inspired to select your replacement, what qualities would
    you be looking for. I’ve edited tech documents long enough to find out that the
    writer is sometimes that last person to catch the simplest mistakes.
    堀北真希 CM http://www.imageblogs.net Thirdly, a Seo Company being specialized within this genre knows
    pros and con of how to produce quality content.
    ‘ It helps your child to remain organized while using built-in organizer feature which includes a calendar, clock,
    address book and calculator.

堀北真希 まあAKBにいる時点で努力など放棄しているに等しい
    プリクラ1枚で即刻クビのときは黙ってて、たかが交換留学で署名運動っておかしいでしょう
    毎回オリコン1位でCD60万枚売ってるのが結果出してないってアホ丸出しな奴だ

However, once your web site now yields a higher amount of visitors, it can be important
    to understand which it doesn’t mean that most these visitors result in sales right away.
    Besides, if nobody is reading whatever you wrote, your attempts are useless regarding
    traffic generation too. http://www.imageblogs.net 堀北真希 There are free utilities around the web that
    allow you to copy and paste your document and the utility
    will return the grade level score. Professional consider that your resume is part of
    your profession; hence the dog pros make reviews for these resumes
    more often than not before they are finally written.

I blog quite often and I seriously appreciate your information. This great article has truly peaked my
    interest. I will take a note of your blog and
    keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I subscribed to your Feed as well.

Before you close down any of your accounts make certain that it doesn’t affect your credit history.
    The language used needs to be different and semantic approach on the content
    is completely different in the writing varieties of which Agatha
    Christie or Tom Calncy. http://www.akbme.coom The writing tips must be utilized while drafting instructions of
    recommendation. Your greater English writing text have to be nicely structured.

堀北真希 画像 日の丸の前で踊り 靖国神社に初詣に行く 板野友美 かっこよす! フジTVは、日の丸隠す改竄。
    組閣なんかより「卒業」という名のクビをもっと増やして
    そこらへんに歩いてるちょっとかわいい子でもすぐ出来るからな女優なんて

By writing your order letter inside a manner that’s crunchy and apparent with least amount of commotion, the recipient will probably be able to learn it without difficulty.
    With intent, you will receive greater results out of your efforts in writing.
    堀北真希 ドラマ imageblogs.net Perhaps,
    such method applied for the spur-of-the-moment scribbling can be
    applied; perhaps, not. In this stage it is possible to also create any templates which are needed.

If you are able to’t get excited over it, neither
    will the listener. In addition to downloading free music, listeners can stream their most favorite songs inside a custom radio station. Baofeng uv-5r plus When a tragedy strikes,
    whether a large-scale, multi-area disaster or a small, single
    building disaster, communication breakdown can mean added chaos.

Swearing and profanity would be the obvious ones nevertheless it is very hard to define such lines
    and only education and experience is going to be the guides.
    Baofeng eham This book relies upon the Law of ATTRACTION:
    the law by which we’re creating our life, like attracts like, the things we
    want out of life. Remembering days gone by times, in 2002 some PR persons close to Kuchma’s administration made a decision to rule the
    media by sending out special orders to TV companies and news services.

First and foremost, model essays are an excellent strategy to learn how
    to create. Here will be the top three content creation sites online
    that every pay by Paypal. Baofeng eham baofeng gt-3 mkii However, this could be shunned, in the event the letter is typed over a
    letterhead. There a wide range of ways on how to write down an invitation card nevertheless it
    depends in which event.