DIY Mini Resurrection Garden

I stopped in my tracks on Pinterest when I saw this photo the other day:

(I researched it and I believe it originated on the creator’s Facebook page and ended up on Pinterest. Thank you, Melissa Holt for the beautiful idea!)

I knew it would be on our list for Spring Break this week. Easter is still three weeks away, but as Christians we celebrate it every day, right?

Since I have three do-it-yourselfers at home and I’m a very wise mom, I knew that one Resurrection Garden would lead to sin (also known as sibling rivalry). So we created three mini Resurrection Gardens.

It was easy to make, everyone got to add their own touches and it cost pretty much the same as making one large one like the picture above.

Supplies Needed: We found all of ours at WalMart and averaged about $7.50 per mini garden.

• Terra cotta mini pot (tomb)
  • Terra cotta small tray
  • Small pebbles from Floral dept(one bag was plenty for three)
  • Grass seed (we have enough left over for the bare patch in our yard)
  • One small bag of potting soil
  • Small twigs and Large rock (smaller than a child’s fist) from the yard
  • Glue gun
  • Spray water bottle

1. Place mini pot on the tray and add potting soil around it.

2. Pack soil in and on top of the mini pot, forming a small hill.

3. Add pebbles coming from the opening of the “tomb”

4. Place larger rock half covering the tomb

5. Sprinkle grass seed on the soil

6. Glue small twigs to form three crosses (hot glue works best)

7. Stick each cross into the “hill” behind the tomb

8. Spray soil lightly every day with water bottle

9. Watch and wait for new life (grass) to spring forth!

It’s a beautiful reminder that He is Risen!

Indeed.

Comments

1. Muriel says

What a cute idea! Make me looking forward to visiting the real one!! (we are blessed to live only a 30 minute drive from it ;-))

2. Courtney says

Love that!!!! My 5 year old son would love this project- he gets so excited when he spots three crosses out in a field somewhere. Thanks for a neat project and a beautiful reminder that our Lord is risen!

3. Michelle says

This is a great project! I can’t wait to do this with my boys over spring break. Thank you for the step by step pictures too.

I was so touched when I saw the picture of this. I love it. I can’t wait to make one for our family and possibly a few friends, family members, and neighbors. Thank you for sharing.

5. Becky says

Thank you so much for posting this! We are going to make one today for our granddaughters. They already have a 40 days of Lent tree which is really neat. This will be just the thing to complete that lesson.

So, about how much did this cost you? I’m thinking of trying this, but I don’t really want to drag all three of my small children to lowe’s to find out that it’s kind of pricey. :)

7. Megan Kennedy says

Ok love love love this! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful idea for my kids that we can do for Sunday school. I think I’m going to have one small one per family to save some money. It’s also something crafty i know wont end up in the trash in a month or thrown in the kitchen drawer. So excited for Resurrection Sunday!

Love this! We’re moving to Italy tomorrow with Youth with a Mission and will have a very sunny new home. Can’t wait to build one of these gardens. Thanks, Kristen, for sharing!

9. Tammie says

This is so expressive and easy enough for a wanna be craft person to do, like me! Love it and can’t wait to do it

Love this idea… we’re heading out this AM to purchase what we need for this… Kids seems excited! Should be great. Hopefully we’ll have grass and it will be completely grown in for Easter in a couple weeks. :) Cass

11. coleen says

just purchased our supplies today…going to put them together with our grandchildren (got the permission ;-) of their parents!) in a couple of days…one for their home and one for ours. thank you for sharing this beautiful idea <3

12. Jen says

My daughter and I just made ours today-I was totally inspired by your post! What a great way to help celebrate Easter~thanks!! :)

Ooooooooo — I LOVE this! Your version is darling, and I’m sure the kids take great pride in building their own. I pinned it and I’m totally doing this ;) Thanks so much and blessings to you during this precious season!
    Krista

14. Beth says

We’re making one today! I LOVE this idea! Another site I was looking at with the same idea also included instructions to wrap up a tiny doll with gauze and put it in the tomb on Good Friday and put the large stone over the opening. Then before the kids are up Easter morning, roll the stone away and take out the doll but leave the gauze. He is risen!!

15. Sherry says

So cute! And I love the fact that I already have everything in my garage! That rarely happens for me! Thanks!

Thanks for this awesome idea. The leader of our Children’s Ministry found this on your blog and we are making these today at Sunday School. What a fun outdoor craft for a sunny CA Sunday! Very appropriate for just around Easter!
    Thanks and God Bless.

17. wendy says

I lived this idea. It is very cheap to do. It only cost me $13.00 and that was because I had to buy a glue gun and glue sticks. Everything else I needed I was able to get at the Dollar Store. I Love my resurrection garden!

so after getting all my materials I spent about 25 bucks for 1 but I did get a little larger terra cotta bottom and a lot larger mini pot I’m doing this with Sunday school and I wanted more room for the kids to be around if I wanted to buy more pots it wouldn’t be that much more because the most of your money goes to the big bag of soil in a big bag of seed what you don’t need that much I think I will wait till after spring and get some for next year on sale thank you so much and I’m so excited to do this craft with my kids today

Thanks for the inspiration. I spent my afternoon making a small version using, pea gravel, moss,etc collected in the neighborhood and a starter pot & suacer already in my gardening supplies. I’m super pleased with the way it turned out

20. Candace Wilgis says

thanks so much for this idea as I’ll try to make one since I’m going to have a children’s ministry @ my home.

This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that,
    how you presented it. Too cool!