When my family moved a few miles away to a smaller town last year, we swapped a huge school district for a smaller, more rural one, a push mower for a broken down riding one that my hubby fixed and city sewage for our very own septic system (just don’t play in the sprinklers). And while we are still close to The City (and by city, I mean Target and Chick Fil A), it was time we two-stepped over to the other side–and became a boot-wearing family.
On the way to the Rodeo a few weeks ago, one of my kids had a nasty, ungrateful outburst and I was half tempted to leave them in tennis shoes (the horror), but grace won out. Outfitting our children in cowboy boots was quite a splurge (hubby and I already had some).
After a fun day, we drove home, and this same kid’s ugly attitude showed up again with a bit of entitlement thrown in and it went downhill from there. There was dysfunctional family activity (so glad my life isn’t a reality show) and my husband asked for the boots back. This sort of broke my country heart, but I knew it was the right thing to do.
We didn’t buy the boots, so we could return them. As a matter of fact, my hubby couldn’t find the receipt at first and I bit my nails because THIS PARENTING THING IS SO HARD. We wanted our child to share the joy down to their feet, but it was the heart that needed the immediate attention.
The said child cried and begged and promised and fretted. And then pulled the grace card: “Why can’t you show me grace?”
I piped up and said, “Buying you the boots in the first place was grace” and then I recounted the earlier behavior.
My husband put the boots back in the box and stuck them on a high shelf in the laundry room and said,”If you want the boots, you’ll have to work for them.” He pointed to the huge mulched areas in the front yard and then the back. “You have 3 days to pull every weed. I won’t remind you, it’s up to you. It’s your job if you want it. It pays in boots.”
And that was that.
I wanted to high five my man and sob with my child, all at the same time. Because, lo, the weeds were many.
Our big yard is muddy and wet and full of weeds and I grimaced at the job, wondering what my child would choose. I was a silent cheerleader on their behalf. And my heart soared when I heard the front door click and I saw my offspring in old clothes sit down for the long hours ahead.
For the next two days, I watched my child work hard and get hands dirty and heart tender.
When my husband handed back the boots and I heard a true apology on my kid’s lips, I knew we had all won. “You earned these. I won’t take them away again.” A certain little cowhand is walking high around here and those boots means twice as much this time around. Hard work pays off and changes us in the process.
We live in an entitled world and whether we like it or not, children in our culture are consumers. It has become a global issue because they are a captive audience and the average kid views up to 40,000 commercials a year and business pour up to 17 billion into that advertising. Source. If you still doubt, just walk down the Easter aisles in your local store. Because only a consumer-driven society could take a Savior on a cross and turn it into a four aisles at the grocery store.
“Marketers want to accomplish two things with our children:
- Awaken and amplify their desire to consume
- Blur the line between wants and needs.” Source
And this combination is creating a generation of children who aren’t grateful, who expect everything to be handed to them and don’t really know how to work and this breeds the greatest enemy of all: discontentment.
Just look at what our culture has done with holidays. They’ve turned it all into hoopla and not only is it confusing to our kids to live in a world of made-up celebrations, it muddies the waters of the Holy ones and their true intent is lost.
If “true godliness with contentment is great wealth” (1 Timothy 6:6), then discontentment leaves of spiritually bankrupt and completely empty.
Honestly, I don’t blame the kids. As parents, we often foster this mentality with our own actions. We compare ourselves (and our homes, cars, etc) to what others have, we let media (and ultimately, advertising) influence our home by not limiting screen time and we have a hard time deciphering between needs and wants.
Fighting the entitlement battle in our home is hard, but here are some things we are doing to try and live counter-culturally in this area:
- We are Asking for Hard Work– I think many kids in our culture (my own included) don’t know much about hard work. I grew up in a house that worked. We cleaned and did yard work every weekend and everyone helped clean up the kitchen every night. A few weeks ago, we spent most of the day in the yard. And the more my kids complained, the more I realized how much we had neglected giving them hard, dirty work. My kids get their own laundry basket and take over washing, folding and putting away their clothes when they turn 8, they take turns helping clean up in the kitchen and their rooms, but it was clear to me that a little hard work was needed. I’m excited to say a truckload of dirt and rock are sitting in our driveway right now, waiting a few hard workers. Oh parenting, you do come in handy. (Phil 2:14-15)
- We aren’t Making Unrealistic Promises-We regularly tell our kids not to expect us to pay for college. While we hope to help in some way, we don’t have plans to pay it for their college education in its entirety. We expect them to work hard now, focus on their gifted areas, get scholarships, part time jobs, etc, to contribute. We try not to make them promises that only enhance the entitlement attitude in our culture or promises we don’t know if we can keep.
- We are Sticking to Consequences-If we suggest a consequence, we commit to seeing it thru as often as we can. I’ve come up with some stupid consequences in my day and have regretted my rash tongue. But something clicks in our kid when they understand we are serious about some things.
- We are Limiting Media-Hushing the voices of our culture that is telling our kids all the stuff they need comes in part by tuning it out. Media specifically targets our children to want a lot of stuff they don’t need. We have a TV and computers and devices, but besides filtering them, we turn them off. My kids still complain about it, which reinforces exactly why it’s important.
- We are Exposing Them to the World-I’m a firm believer that an entitlement attitude is in direct correlation to perspective. When you’re only looking and thinking about yourself, you can only see what you want. But when you remove the blinders and see needs around you and in the world, it alters your perspective. Exposing our kids to other cultures and how most of the world really lives, stirs up gratitude like nothing else.
- We are Extending Grace-Living by a bunch of strict rules and do’s and don’ts isn’t the answer. Being flexible with your own rules is not only necessary, it’s healthy for your family. And let’s face it, who doesn’t need extra grace? We are on the same team.
- We are Examples in our Mistakes-Ouch. This is the hardest. When I compare and complain, I’m leading by example. When I am thankful and gracious, they are watching. As I make mistakes, I’m offering them the greatest lesson. It’s important to admit when we are wrong and ask for forgiveness when we hurt our kids.
- We are Raising them to Be Different– I Peter 2:11 Our society has low expectations of kids. We expect toddlers to get what they want and teens to be rebellious. Instead of helping our kids fit in every area of their lives (an impossibility, really), we are encouraging them to go against the flow, reminding them we’re supposed to be different than the world. They are normal kids and have longings to fit in-we all do. We just aren’t going to compromise our beliefs or lives to do so in every circumstance.
- We are Relying on God- By far, parenting is the hardest job. And honestly, there are so many days, we don’t know what to do. Our kids belong to God. He loves them more than we do. He wants to guide us down the hard roads.
Our family certainly didn’t need new boots, even though we plan to wear them for years to come. But walking a mile in them taught us a great lesson in gratitude. Some days we feel like we’ve lost the battle against entitlement in our home; we are still in the trenches, trying to figure this all out. But as we reflect on Jesus’ sacrifice and turn our attention to The Cross, it’s thankfulness for His sacrifice and our chance at New Life that I want them to grasp the most.
Once you have created your own wager after that you can access it together with your regular actions because these types of wagers just consider a few momemts that you should make sure they are. In order to be eligible for a [url=http://www.blackfridayjerseyssale.com/]Black Friday NFL Jerseys[/url] the actual cost-free deals, you [url=http://www.blackfridayjerseyssale.com/]NFL Jerseys Black Friday[/url] have to be the first period client with regard to Meal System as well as you need to be willing in order to devote the 1-year sign up agreements using the Meal Neighborhood retailers. It provides “3D energy documenting tech”, made to improve recording pressure. Nevertheless, the hairstyle can also be an essential a part of a good ensemble. You will find [url=http://www.blackfridayjerseyssale.com/]Jerseys Black Friday[/url] performing training on the web that may match affordable. The actual suggestions which adhere to tend to be designed to demonstrate how you can develop your own business by utilizing social networking.
louis vuitton small purse says
The medical expert displays that it is actually quick to suffer bags illness. The fact is The majority of girls have endured the illness, since they in most cases consider the shoulder bags for a extended time. As all of us know, bags strip is simple to slide through the shoulder.
Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found
that it is truly informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels.
I will be grateful if you continue this in future.
Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
louis vuitton women bags says
Strawberrynet is so low cost simply because they sell things in the HK rec retail value. Anyone who’s been travelling can vouch to the fact that their RRP would be the exact same, if not much less, than SN retail costs (in US bucks). It is fact there is a enormous markup here in Aust – for different dull factors, like obligations, taxes, labour fees and so forth.
bow uggs says
This piece of writing Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World — We are THAT Family on the topic of how to embed a YouTube video code is really valuable in support of new web viewers. Nice employment, keep it up.
Personality test says
hi, mental test, linked were one intelligence, The policies earliest in analysis as contributed fiscal began ancient free iq test topics in been ancient psychological test, psychological the for of and intelligence, West in for groups early in than civil separating first.
discount periactin purchase ach says
avodart from mexico without prescription
buy esomeprazole online china
how to buy neurontin in internet amex fedex california
fluconazole with free fedex Overnight
priligy chelsea boots tablets cost 500mg carlisle
buy desogen ir online
buy minocycline without prescription needed
buying zyban online coupon no script florida
diflucan no rx cod
lortab generic codest
cure for prolactinoma crystals chile valor dostinex
buy acyclovir no visa without prescription
Online voltaren purchase
buy orlistat in Egypt
buy motilium in Salt Lake City
dimedrol indication mg 50 analgin cu rheumatoid common cold treatment jak
buy ambien legit
buy acyclovir 2mg bars online
diflucan non prescriptin
glucovance 5mg 500mg glyburide-metformin tablets free delivery oklahoma
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nonetheless genuinely really worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 find out about Mid East has got extra problerms at the same time.
moncler girls says
Static Quad ContractionThis contraction exercise is made to enhance your quadriceps and hamstrings, taking pressure off your knee and helping it to return to its authentic power. Begin by sitting down on the yoga mat together with your legs extended and back straight. From here, place both of the arms flat around the floor and at your sides..
leonard albanese says
And no, the ice won’t have the capacity to kill them.
You need to follow a weightlifting program that’s built to meet your specific goals.
Wood properties develop into a way of life rather than just a house you are now living in.
Okno jest otwór w ścianie, drzwi lub pojazd, który pozwala na przejście światła, a jeśli nie zamknięte lub zamknięte, powietrza i
dźwięku. Nowoczesne okna są zwykle szkliwione lub objęte w niektórych
innych materiałów przezroczystych lub półprzezroczystych.
Windows są utrzymywane w miejscu przez ramki.
Wiele szybami może otworzyć, aby ułatwić wentylację lub zamknięte, aby wykluczyć niepogody.
Okna słowo pochodzi od staronordyckiego ‘vindauga’, z “vindr-wiatr” i “auga–eye”,
czyli wiatr oko. W norweski Nynorsk i islandzki Staronordyjska
forma przetrwała do dnia dzisiejszego (w języku islandzkim tylko jako synonim mniej używanych do gluggi), w
języku szwedzkim vindöga słowo pozostaje jako termin otwór na dachu chaty, a
w języku duńskim ‘vindue’ i norweski Bokmål ‘vindu’, bezpośredni link do
“oko” jest stracone, podobnie jak “okno”. Duński (ale nie Bokmål) słowo jest wymawiane dość
podobnie do okna.
This approach is when tthe action starts coupled
with liquidity markedlly increases. Some is going ohce high the way $9.99 a single month.
(0 Emergeny room x 9) / Ip address = 4.00.
It seems that every time you turn your back, they get another ticket.
I called in to joiin in the talk on “Thinking Man’s Radio” onn
the OTB show with Brett Jensen. They get
nervous and confused while stepping into the court.
Austin mold treatment says
Heat and air-conditioning ducts also can hide form
that can affect your family. Lets get directly to the drawbacks off reverse osmosis.
Skin infection will not simply disapppear alone!
san diego mold inspection says
The longer an itedm smell negative, the stronger,
or maybe more adapted is becomes. Claw fungus is brought on by tiny organisms that infect the fingernails
and toenails. Rubber pavers are much softer and therefore easier youu feet and legs.